craftsman sawmill 7 1/4 circular saw. No spindle lock

jackthehackJanuary 5, 2008

I have an old Craftsman circular saw with no visible spindle lock. How am I to replace the blade?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
machiem(Z8 WA)

Just putting the saw down on some soft wood so the teeth dig in would probably work. Otherwise, stick something in the teeth or a hole in the blade to keep the blade/spindle from turning.

Bookmark   January 5, 2008 at 7:16PM
JonDoh

I too had a 7 1/4" Craftsman circular saw with no spindle lock, with a masonry blade that I had trouble removing. It had no teeth or other holes to get a good grip on it.

This procedure worked to remove the blade:

1. Apply some WD-40 to the blade locking nut.

2. Wait a couple minutes, with a few slight taps from a wrench for good luck in to help the lubricant work in.

3. Lock a 10" crescent wrench onto the nut, hold the blade fairly tightly with one hand, and tap on the end of the wrench handle sharply with a hammer to turn the nut and blade counter-clockwise.

The inertia of the blade and motor help to keep the blade still as the hammer's force is applied to loosen the nut.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 8:53AM
ericwi

:You could lower the blade, and install a "C-clamp" carefully, on the blade, positioned to avoid the teeth. Now you can rotate the blade, until the clamp meets the baseplate, and now you have a locked spindle.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 9:52AM
rcmoser

With saw unplugged or power removed I just clamp pair of vise grips onto the blade, using the vise grips wedged against the saw or hold it and break the nut loose. Same thing as above avoid the teeth on the blade or it will CUT you!

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 10:15AM
lhuffman(z6/TN)

I'm having problems getting the nut to come out. I've sprayed it with WD-40, I've got the blade clamped down so it won't move. The nut is turning, but it won't come out. I'm baffled as to what is keeping it in.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 12:14PM
loger_gw

The shaft from the motor is probably turning also. The nut needs a blow or shock to break it loose. Use a box-end wrench or vise grips on the nut and give a good blow/hit on the wench toward off with the blade locked in wood in a vise or sitting on soft wood.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
Any owners of the Troy-bilt Cultivator Plus?
I bought this around 1984 and have never seen another...
baymee
Old Troybilt Tiller Engine Replacement
I need to replace the eninge on my Troybilt tiller...
themaniam1
MTD 8HP SnowBlower
I have an MTD 8hp SnowBlower Mod # 317E640F352. The...
Jeffery Smith
Older Troy Built Tiller Model ID
Trying to indentify model number of my unit. It is...
gardenerfrank
Brand new chainsaw stalls - tank fuel line above gas level?
Hell all I just bought my first chainsaw: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B008EQ0L3I It's...
theniceguy
Sponsored Products
Hampton Bay Wall Mounted Alexandria 180� Outdoor White Motion-Sensing
$49.97 | Home Depot
Safavieh Vintage Warm Beige Viscose Rug (2'7 x 4')
Overstock.com
Resonance Centerpiece by Alessi
$295.00 | Lumens
Black Oversize Zero Gravity Chair
$84.99 | zulily
Great Ibiza Fluorescent Half-Moon Wall Sconce
$415.98 | Bellacor
Area Rug: Galleria Burgundy Spice 5' 3" x 7' 7"
Home Depot
24-Inch Semi-Flush with Crossbar
$940.00 | Bellacor
Action 1 Butt / 1 Shaft Box Style Cue Case - Light Brown - ACBX13