Mantis Tiller Fuel Tank

vgg659(Z9 LA)January 8, 2012

I have a vintage Mantis tiller (SV-2AE engine) circa 1983-1987, and used the heck out of it up until a few years ago. I wanted to use it today, but the fuel tank is cracked across the top along or near the seam. I looked up the replacement part (Echo 13101005920), but it is obsolete and out of stock everywhere I looked. So, I want to repair the tank I have by some method. I was thinking about painting epoxy or silicon around the whole tank. Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcmoser

Had this happen on to me on ryobi trimmer gas tank. I got two part epoxy and glue it. Course I cleaned and sanded the tank before to give it something to stick to and course the tank was empty and dry. Look at the hardware store I think you can find something compatible that will work to bond it back togather Most plastic tanks are glued togather anyway

Bookmark   January 8, 2012 at 8:29PM
slowpoke_gardener

I have never tried to repair a plastic gas tank, but I bought an old 1981 Troy Bilt that someone has tried repairing the tank with silicone and it is coming loose. I have no idea how long ago the repair was made but I will be trying to repair it in the future with something else.

I have had pretty good luck using E600, Goo or maybe goop, I have also used a product called "through the roof". But none of these repairs have been made on a gas can. I often use some type of webbing like fiberglass or dental floss embedded in the glue.

I have a plastic mirror mount on my pickup that was broken several years ago and it is still holding.

The E6000 and goo or goop both can be found at walmart, the through the roof product I buy at ace hardware.

Bookmark   January 9, 2012 at 12:22AM
lefeavers

UPSIDE DOWN! I have 1987. Used once (same ) ok one rubber hose, one smaller plastic gas Jug. . Dont fill full of gas/ andmy chainsaw tank worked as good. Use water to test it out, leaks etc. The gas jug. The McCullough Chainsaw tank + One hose was better. Its just gas (don't let it Leak!

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 11:06PM
More Discussions
Predator 212cc Engine, Harbor Freight FYI
Hi Folks, Been thinking of getting one of these for...
exmar
Sears air compressor engine won't run when plugged in
Sears Paint Sprayer/Air Compressor Model No. 106.153542...
Cletus77
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
snuffyinatl
Older Troy Built Tiller Model ID
Trying to indentify model number of my unit. It is...
gardenerfrank
No more roll pins
Finally got the roll pins out of the wheels on my Horse...
snuffyinatl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™