Vintage Troy-Bilt Horse tiller problems

travellingmanJanuary 23, 2010

Hi everyone,

I have an old Troy-Bilt Horse with a Clinton side valve engine that I want to overhaul. (It fires up quite easily but then stalls before I can get to the throttle to drive it.) I'm having a hard time finding parts. Several websites claim to have Cinton parts and they even show pictures, but when I contacted them they each claimed that they couldn't get Clinton parts. MTD have told me that my engine is a 4 1/2 hp 498 series engine. But that is all the info they have. If anyone out there knows more about these engines and/or where to find parts I'd like to know. Failing that, if anyone knows which more recent engine would fit, I might go that route. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andyma_gw

sounds like a fuel issue, can you keep the engine running by spraying carb cleaner down the throat?

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 6:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_mark1

It might be that the float in the carburetor is stuck. This can happen if stored with fuel in it. Sometimes tapping it is enough to free it. You could also put a few drops of carb cleaner down the fuel inlet -- the idea would be to dissolve the 'varnish' that might have formed around the fuel inlet valve -- really a small pin held against the fuel inlet by the carburetor float.

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 9:15PM
More Discussions
Electric shredder motor will switch on but won't spin the blades
Hello, I have an electric garden shredder that will...
Lindsay Durdle
Toro 826 Drive Belt Jumps Off Crankshaft Pulley
Hello, I have a nine year old Toro Powermax 826. Late...
ronpr2112
IS it ME ? OR is this site/Forum Gone in hibernation?
This used to be such an informative and active site!!...
bertman_gw
Sears air compressor engine won't run when plugged in
Sears Paint Sprayer/Air Compressor Model No. 106.153542...
Cletus77
troy bilt horse question
Went to check the transmission fluid today and noticed...
snuffyinatl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™