how to recognize a climber/rambler vs a regular rose?

ittaydApril 23, 2014

Hi,

I'm completely new to roses and gardening, so forgive me if my question is very basic (I couldn't find it in the FAQ).

I bought a bunch of roses. According to the nursery, they are climbers. But to me they look like ordinary plants. I don't see any ways they could cling to whatever they are climbing on (in my case steel posts). This is vs vines for example that have "tentacles" for latching.

So, how do I recognize a climber (or rambler, I understand both climb, but can't figure out the distinction in the final result)

Regards,
Ittay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cecily(7 VA)

Climbing roses are rose bushes with long, flexible branches that can be tied to the fence. They will never develop 'tentacles' like a grape vine. Ramblers are extremely large climbing roses that bloom once per year (in spring). A climbing rose will cover an archway. A rambler will cover the whole garage.

When your new roses become established, they will send up new canes (branches) that will be soft and flexible. These are the canes that you will tie to the fence. You can use various materials to fasten the canes to the fence (twine, old pantyhose, etc). I hope this helps.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 10:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

As Cecily said climbers do not have tendrils, like vines do, to latch on to things and climb on their own. They must be trained and tied to trellises and supports in order to do climbing. If left untrained or unsupported they will form large fountaining bushes.

Climbers take at least 3 years, and more often 5, to begin to climb. It takes that long for the plant to build up a large enough root ball in order to feed and support those long canes all the way to the tips. And during that time they need to have support behind them. It's thought that if they know there is something there to support them they will then send out those long canes. If not they may not produce them.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Flowers and buds
Julia Child Chrysler Imperial Olympiad PJP
deervssteve
Austin roses at Whole Foods
Just returned from Whole Foods store in the New Orleans...
suebelle_neworleans
What are these red spots on my rose canes and are they bad?
Hello everyone! It's spring time and my roses are all...
Rosecandy VA, zone 7
How to Take Cuttings...
We are officially moving Monday, and as I walked the...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
Looking forward to SPRING FLUSH!
The past couple of weeks my rose bushes have begun...
sara_ann-z6bok
Sponsored Products
Kraus KHF203-36-KPF2130-SD20 Double Basin Farmhouse Kitchen Sink with Faucet Mul
$779.95 | Hayneedle
Ezra Small Outdoor Lantern Lamp
Grandin Road
Feiss Bathroom Lighting Drawing Room 1-Light Walnut Vanity Light VS11201-WAL
Home Depot
Wall Mounted Brass Extendable Double Face 3x, 5x, 5xop, or 7xop Magnifying Mirro
TheBathOutlet
Queen Glamour Duvet Cover 92" x 96" - TAUPE (QUEEN)
$775.00 | Horchow
Serena & Lily Pencil Stripe Rug
Serena & Lily
Jaipur Poeme Rennes Oriental 8 ft. Wool Tufted Rug - RRD018019-0009
$810.00 | Hayneedle
Oval LED Lighted Wall Mirror
$159.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™