Pruning/Planting privet shrubs and other alternatives.

ritholtzOctober 1, 2013

I have 80' - 90' privet hedge covering my iron fence. I would like to grow it to 8' which can act as a screening hedge. Looking for any pruning/fertilizer recommendations to grow them thick and fast.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ritholtz

Is it possible to move 4' privets. I have couple of gaps in my privet hedge with Indian Hawthorns. I would like to remove them and fill the gaps with new privets/ moving existing privets. Are there any better shrubs than privets which can compliment my existing privet shrub.
Thanks

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 1:13PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

growth rate is genetic ... i dont really understand the idea behind 'feeding' things to make them grow faster than they are genetically inclined to ...

looking at your pic.. that looks like some very fine growth .. and my gut tells me.. that was all this years growth.. as they look like they were sheared last year .....

other than your impatience.. what more do you need ..;

and .. BTW.. their roots are probably out under the lawn.. and if you fert your lawn.. they will get what they need ...

ANYTHING.. of any size can be moved.. its all about aftercare ... see link ...

now .. whether i would work that hard.. rather than just go buy a few new ones.. that would be the trick for me... work smart.. not hard ...

there are thousands of shrubs instead of continuing your monoculture .... but i dont know where you are.. nor what your specs are.. do you intend on shearing these also????

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 3:32PM
ritholtz

Hi ken_adrian,
Thanks for your link. My zone is 8A (dfw) and very close to 7. Do I need to shear extra growth from existing privets in order to make them grow thick. Is there any guidelines like lawn mowing.
Thanks

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 5:07PM
ritholtz

I am planning to cut back all the top lean growth from my existing privet hedge to make them grow thick. This top growth appears in different shade of green. Is it good idea to leave at least one feet of this growth in order to make them grow taller fast. If I cut all of this back, they never grow taller right.

Can I use these clipping for planting new privets to fill gaps in the hedge.

Thanks.

This post was edited by ritholtz on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 17:55

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
Thuja occidentalis smaragd browning
Hi. I planted these Thuja occidentalis smaragds about...
reyetwinger
Selecting shrubs for my new front bed
I'm in the planning stages for the bed at the southeast...
nonconformist_nymphette
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™