Where to plant Variegated English Holly?

adrianmonkOctober 21, 2007

I had a problem last year with a dead shrub in the flower bed at one side of my front door... one of those inexpensive dwarf evergreens. Somehow, I got taken by the Variegated English Hollies at the nursery, and bought a large and expensive one. Thinking about it all summer, I'm just not sure this is a good spot for it. The bed on that side has an Alaskan Pendulum Cedar (evergreen) on the outside, with several golden Euonymous shrubs between the Holly and the evergreen. To me, it seems that the Holly is too similar in color to the Euonymous group, and will eventually be too large to be next to the stoop. It's a nice plant, but I'm not sure where to put it. My landscaper thinks it's fine where it it, but I really think it's being wasted. This is supposed to get very big (15 feet+)... What was I thinking?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Climate permitting, it will get much bigger than that - albeit slowly. However, hollies are very tolerant of pruning. What will really get big is the 'Pendula' cedar, it is not a dwarf. Here in USDA 8 we have planted specimens over 80 ft. tall (many native examples in nearby mountains are as drooping as those sold as 'Pendula').

Bookmark   October 21, 2007 at 3:28PM
adrianmonk

Yes, my "Pendula" is another issue. It is on the far side of the bed, framing the house. I want it to get big and impressive (30 feet plus), but it's only 12 feet tall right now.

I suppose the holly is "Ok" where it is now, and my landscaper did say that trimming could keep it under control. It's about five feet tall, which isn't too bad. I just think it needs a place to be itself and to show itself off. Up against my railings doesn't really work.

Bookmark   October 21, 2007 at 4:41PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If white variegated makes a good contrast to purple leaves or scarlet (bluish) red flowers, the latter such as those provided by hybrid rhododendrons for instance. (Yellow-variegated hollies look well with tomato (orangish) red rhododendrons).

Bookmark   October 21, 2007 at 5:53PM
adrianmonk

Thanks for the help. The thing that's going through my mind though, is whether I could plant it away from the foundation bed entirely, somewhere on the lawn..kind of like a tree. Although I've probably made it sound as if it's in a prominent position now, it's actually screened by the mailbox, often in the awning's shadow, and hardly noticeable. Although the nurseries are often loaded with these, I can't seem to find one in view in real life. The Internet photos for the most part just show the plant itself, so it's difficult to get ideas. Mine is yellow variegated, red berries about 2.5 feet wide by 5 feet tall. Would it look weird on the lawn?

Bookmark   October 22, 2007 at 5:20PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Often used as lawn specimens. Just don't limb it up later.

Bookmark   October 23, 2007 at 3:47AM
More Discussions
My new-old shrub woes
I moved into this house a year ago and am now starting...
nonconformist_nymphette
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
Unknown evergreen shrub
Hello experts! Do you know what this evergreen shrub...
kevinako
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
Evergreen Privacy Shrub Hedge
I want to plant an evergreen shrub hedge as a privacy...
clivebengal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™