winterberry holly: what happened to the berries?
As opposed to the huge number of berries on my 'Red Sprite' winterberries last fall (when I planted them), the berries thus far have been few. Am wondering if any of the following can explain this.
1. Much more precipitation than usual during the summer. (I thought this plant favored somewhat soggy conditions, however.)
2. Soil pH remained at 6.2 when I tested it again last spring.
3. I fertilized only one time (early May) with a slow release type. (I've received various tips on fertilizing: don't fertilize; fertilize only in spring; fertilize only in the fall; and, fertilize in both spring and fall.)
4. They are kept mulched with pine needles.
5. Had a mild summer and fall thus far. The temps have only recently dropped to a high in the mid-sixties but cooler/cold weather is expected soon.
Please note that the 'Red Sprites' are all within 16' of a 'Jim Dandy' pollinator.
All responses appreciated!.