New engine, Briggs or Kohler

fespoJanuary 12, 2012

Hello everyone, I have to replace my 6.5hp briggs on my new/used troy bilt bronco that I bought with a blown engine. Now for about the same price would you with same replacement Intek IC 6.5hp or a Koher command pro 6hp.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
exmar

At the risk of being hung in effigy or in person if anyone can find me....:-) Have you considered the Chinese engines from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool? I haven't tried them, but there are a lot of posts around that they worked out real well or repowers. The price of around $150 or $100 on sale would allow replacement occasionally if needed. I haven't been impressed with the new Briggs engines I have, don't have any Kohler's.

Good luck,

Ev

Bookmark   January 12, 2012 at 9:29PM
slowpoke_gardener

Exmar, I am glad you said that, I wanted to but was afraid some one might find out where I live. I have at least one coupon to buy the predator 6.5 for $100.00

Now after saying all of that, I have a 6.5 intek on one of my tillers and I have never owned a better starting, or better running engine, Its been going great for about 7 or 8 years. My old Tecumseh is only 31 years old, but it uses a little oil. When it crokes there may be a clone sitting in its spot.

Bookmark   January 13, 2012 at 11:31PM
exmar

My issue with the newer Briggs, etc. engines is the "epa" carb with no adjustments and difficult to take apart and clean. That coupled with the ethanol mix fuel is not a good combo. I haven't priced a replacement carb for the 7.5 Briggs on one of the tillers, but would assume it's between $50-100 and for a few dollars more, get a complete engine with the same epa carb?

I don't like what I'm saying and hope someone can point out the error in my logic.

Ev

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 10:52AM
More Discussions
honda snowblower problem
i have a honda 928 snowblower... good machine, but...
rudall
Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere...
bfguilford
Reciprocating Saw
I am looking to buy a reciprocating saw. I am not looking...
pirate94
Testing the new format X allowing multiple attachments.
I am back to two Lexan chain guides due to a chain...
loger_gw
Electric shredder motor will switch on but won't spin the blades
Hello, I have an electric garden shredder that will...
Lindsay Durdle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™