Companion plants for Winterberry?

shelli563(zone 6 MA)October 7, 2010

I just purchased 3 Winter Red and 1 Southern Gentleman . I'm creating a winter interest garden in partial shade with these as the focal point. I'd like to get some recommendations for companion plants that are evergreen or perhaps some grasses when dried that have winter interest.

Thanks again,

Shelli

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Well, any of the grasses are spectacular in winter, ranging from the huge Erianthus ravennae to smaller 'Little Bluestem'. My favorite grass, gorgeous from summer into late winter when you cut it down is Miscanthus 'Morning Light', gorgeous shape and sturdy stems and plumes that hold up through the winter, even rebounding after heavy snow.

You might also consider some of the low junipers in blue or gold.

Bookmark   October 8, 2010 at 6:17AM
shelli563(zone 6 MA)

Thank you for the suggestions. How do you think Miscanthus Morning Light will handle the shade?

I'm thinning out some trees to bring in more light, but still it will see little direct sun.

Bookmark   October 8, 2010 at 1:21PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

No, grasses need full sun. Sorry, I missed the partial shade part of your first post. There are some grasses that will do well in shade, but none will provide much winter interest.

Bookmark   October 9, 2010 at 6:11AM
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

I cannot recall if my blue-gray toned Carex are evergreen, but they would appeal to me, among Winterberry. So would low Cotoneasters, or any of the low heath type plants like Vaccinium crassifolia, groundcover lingonberry, lowbush blueberry, or bearberry. Asarum europeaum, Arum italicum, hardy Cyclamens would all look beautiful. Some need more Sun than others, but most are growing beautifully for me with half day Sun. Some thrive with the Summer shade of the Winterberry, appreciating the Sun when the shrubs are leafless.

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 1:26AM
More Discussions
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
What variety of evergreen is this? Pic included
Moved into my house 2.5 years ago. I'd like to possibly...
stlmom77
Recs For Underused Ornamental Shrubs
Can you share some that you'd think would be planted...
catkin
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
What's wrong with my Gardenia???
Hi there, my potted gardenia and I live in San Diego....
lucylusmile
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™