My FS 55 R Stihl Trimmer

gregstepJanuary 17, 2014

Hi i got a Fs 55 r Stihl trimmer. It will not start. Ok,,I took the spark plug out and put it in the plug boot and place it against metal. It showing fire. Ok,,,,when i hold the spark plug in my hand and pull the starter rope it shows fire,,,,but it dose not shark me. Very strange. I have clean the carburetor will good. I even shot carburetor chock cleaner in the carburetor and pull,,,,and it will not hit.,,,,,So what is happening??? What got me is why dont it shock me when i hold the spark plug in my hand. When i hold the plug in my hand and put my index finger on metal if shocks the het out of me. Any ideas,,,Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MantonJohn

It needs to go to a ground to spark, and when your finger touches the metal, then you become the ground and the current goes through you!

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 2:53PM
gregstep

Thanks Manton. You might be right. I tell u why. The 2 wires coming from the coil do not have a cut on and cut off switch. its just 2 wires hanging. So 1 wire got to be the ground and the other wire got to be hot going back to the coil,,,, both wires goes back to the coil. 1 wire clips in to the coil,,,,,the other wire just screw to the coil with a bolt. So i guess the hot wire is the one that clip into the coil. Thanks again,,,,,greg

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 6:11PM
MantonJohn

The one on the mounting bolt is where it goes to ground, that wire goes to the on/off switch, and the other wire at the switch goes back to the one on the coil. That is how you shut the trimmer off, you "ground" the coil..

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 11:24AM
gregstep

Thanks Manton. I still had no luck. The one wire that goes back to the coil with the mounting bolt on it,,,,,i stuck a metal clip in it at the end of ground wire. Held the spark plug in my hand ,,,and it was firing in my hand ,,,,with out any shock. Do u think it could be the ground wire is bad??? or the coil. I even took the ground wire and mount it on the muffle bolt. Still the same thing. Thanks for help......any idea again,,,,,greg

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
Have Chipper/Shredder for trade
I have a very nice gas powered wood chipper/leaf shredder...
charlieboring
New Ryobi S430 engine dies on full throttle
Just bought a new Ryobi straight shaft 4 Cycle S430...
losrubios
Woodzig electric pruner
I have a Woodzig electric pruner and use it often....
ranger_ric
Harbor Freight small utility tralier question
I just purchased this harbor freight trailer. http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-capacity-40-1-2-half-inch-x-48-inch-mini-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-four-lug-wheels-and-tires-90153.html I...
rlmunsey
Who Makes This 'New' Craftsman 50cc Chain Saw?
Doing a little research on possible replacement saws......
pgtr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™