Fall flowering shrub

slowstartOctober 15, 2013

Help identifying this shrub that is flowering z7 mid October. Strong and sweet smelling, pollinators love it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Eleaeagnus. Invasive in some areas due to berries spread by birds and rapid growth. This one in particular looks like the one that puts out long whips of growth, requiring a lot of pruning to keep under control. My neighbor's yard is full of them and now they are popping up in all the surrounding yards.

Also recognized by the silvery color on the back of the leaves.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 7:47PM
slowstart

Thanks for the response. You are right about the long wips. I'm using the plant to block the view on the corner of my lot and it serves purpose well. Interestingly it is not expanding and I haven't found it spreading elsewhere. I cut the wips down in the winter to a selected height. The flowers are a wonderful perfume that I smell a hundred feet away.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 9:29AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Shrubs that grow in leaps fill in afterward - you aren't stuck with long bare sections indefinitely. No need to cut those off unless you are trying to control size.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 1:43PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

My Elaeagnus x ebbingei 'Gilt Edge' is blooming right now. Really nice fragrance. They also have edible fruit.

There are a number of attractive variegated cultivars -- Limelight, Gold Splash, Eleodor, etc. I do not believe these are as 'invasive' and they don't have the thorny spurs that E. pungens does.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 8:32AM
More Discussions
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
Evergreen Privacy Shrub Hedge
I want to plant an evergreen shrub hedge as a privacy...
clivebengal
Need suggestions
Hi everyone, I need to plant something in the front...
wonka31
Recs For Underused Ornamental Shrubs
Can you share some that you'd think would be planted...
catkin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™