Climbing crimson glory care and proprogation

RiverLindainNCApril 29, 2012

I have a 26year old climbing crimson glory rose my husband and I planted when we built our house. I absolutely love the color and fragrance of this rose and need some advice on keeping it going. I am not a gardener, the rose has survived on its own all these years. It has black spots on some of its stems/leaves which it has had for a long time. I have trimmed the dead wood over the years. It is currently residing in a pot of dirt my daughter put it in when she dug it up a couple of years ago (they were remodeling the house), and it is blooming and growing. I want to plant it where I live now-same zone, and see if I can get some babies from it for my daughter (she doesn't want me to take it!)I haven't been able to find another one like it for sale anywhere. All help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

I have been told that it is difficult to find a Cl Crimson Glory that actually does climb. I do have one that I rooted from one in the garden of an old cottage that was about to be torn down, and it has gone about 15 feet. I agree with you - it is a marvelous rose, and one of my most fragrant. I would just dig a big hole, somewhere where it will get lots of sun, and where there is something to climb on. Then make sure that the sides of the hole are roughed up, so that it does not become a "bathtub", fill it with good soil, and plant the rose. Water it a lot until it starts to put out new growth. If it starts to die back, you may have to prune it severely, so that its roots can catch up to the top growth.

I am not an expert at rooting roses - I am sure someone on here can guide you to exact directions, but it can be done. Good Luck!

Jackie

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 10:32AM
seil zone 6b MI

HMF shows that Angel Gardens is offering Climbing Crimson Glory. Heirloom Roses has it listed too but they appear to be sold out for this season. Although you could call them and see if they will have any sooner.

After it finishes blooming is the best time to take softwood cuttings for rooting. There are tons of different ways to do it and sometimes you just have to experiment to find the one that works best for you. I've attached a link to the Rose Propagation forum where you can look around for some of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses Propagation & Exchange Forum

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 11:11AM
taoseeker

If it grows well as ownroot plant it is as already mentioned easy to take cuttings; plastic-bag-over-pot-method is easy, sort of a mini greenhouse. To envigir the plant I like to add cowmanure compost to the soil and water with some kind of organic liquid fertilizer with seaweed. However, there are lots of solid organic fertilzers available and they work fine. Make sure they have about as much kali as nitrogen. For example NPK 9-3-9. I find that good compost and perhaps a bit of seaweed meal is great to strengthen roses that need some extra care.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 11:20AM
RiverLindainNC

Thanks for all the help. I'll keep you posted on my progress/ or lack thereof.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
Help me choose a climbing rose please?
Here is my order..lol - I need a rose that is light...
gardenbug
Best Place to Order Rose?
Here in Southern Ca, I've not been able to find some...
evelyn257
Westerland
Westerland is a newer rose and in my opinion, a better...
lynnette
English roses for coastal CA, zone 10?
Hello everyone, Spring is almost here and I'm dreaming...
paola_b
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™