Husqvarna 365SP won't start

sebrame(7)January 4, 2014

I was using my Husky 365SP the other day, when is suddenly quit, and I can't get it to crank at all. Checked the plug for spark, and it's there. I replaced the plug anyway. I checked the muffler for a dirt dauber nest, but it's clear as a bell, as is the spark arrestor screen. Then I realized that the starter cord was as easy to pull with the compression release closed as it is with it open. I'm going to try a new compression release valve, just because it's cheaper and easier than new rings, but I'm afraid I'm looking at a rings/piston job. How easy is it to replace these on a chainsaw?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loger_gw

1.What is some History (age conditions) to think piston/rings?

2.Have you looked at the cyl through the mufflerâÂÂs exhaust port for any indicators?

3.You would think wear would be gradual but I experienced an instant lock on a 10 yr old saw from a bad mix or heat.

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 9:33PM
sebrame(7)

I bought it used locally, and it's an '01, so I guess I'm not far off in my feeling that it may be ring wear. I didn't check the cylinder when I had the muffler off, but that will be easy enough to do tomorrow.

I feel the same way - seems like a wear problem would manifest itself over time, not just die right in the middle of a cut. However, up until the moment that it stopped running, it was actually running very well, and started on only a couple of pulls when cold. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's the compression release.

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 9:45PM
ladylake(minnesota)

Most likely burnt up from being too lean, some reasons are adjusted too lean, dirty plugged up carb, air leak, bad fuel line or maybe a plugged tank vent.. Changing a piston and cylinder is not a bad job and most times the cylinder can be saved. If it's burnt up you need to find out what was the cause or it will do it again. Steve

Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 4:37PM
More Discussions
Predator 212cc Engine, Harbor Freight FYI
Hi Folks, Been thinking of getting one of these for...
exmar
Sears air compressor engine won't run when plugged in
Sears Paint Sprayer/Air Compressor Model No. 106.153542...
Cletus77
Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere...
bfguilford
Tecumseh snow king fuel starvation?
My Tecumseh powered Toro snowblower hunts/surges and...
akachrisinmass
Toro 826 Drive Belt Jumps Off Crankshaft Pulley
Hello, I have a nine year old Toro Powermax 826. Late...
ronpr2112
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™