Ariens snow blower friction wheel

kt01January 14, 2010

On the fourth I posted a question asking for the procedure on changing the friction wheel on my Ariens snowblower model 10M4. I did get a few replies with some suggestions,butI'm still having trouble. The wheel is attached to a hub that slides left and right on the hex shaft.I am assuming that you have to take that hub off of the shaft or at least slide the wheel over the shaft to get the wheel off. How do I get the shaft out of the bearings on either side. There is a nut on the end of the hex shaft but removing it still wont allow the shaft to move. Can some one tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I still need to do.

Thanks

Kirk

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

Sometimes all you need to do is to unbolt the disc, remove one shaft retainer and drop the disc out. Does the carrier itself unbolt?

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 12:18AM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

I don't remember which model it was, but I had to remove the bearing holder on one side and get the gear off the chain on the other side. It took awhile.

It's pretty much self-explanatory once you get started. You can see everything involved. I had some trouble getting the disc back into the sliding carrier. I would put some marks on the carrier to get it in the same position for reassembly.

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 7:01AM
ewalk

Yeah as the previous forum members have indicated remove the pillow blocks or carriers from the chassis after you have removed the gear from the jack-shaft chain , friction wheel should slide of shaft I believe all wheels have 3 capscrews also . It sometimes requires an extra set of hands to re-assemble lol !

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 7:48AM
kt01

Thanks guys
The selector rod to the wheel slider mechinism can be unpinned, allowing the wheel to slide all the way to end of the shaft. I already took the chain off and got some of the other linkage stuff out of the way. I think your right removing the bearing caps to allow the shaft to slide should allow me to get the wheel off.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks
Kirk

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 2:33PM
ewalk

Oh yeah , you have to 1st disconnect the shaft from the gear selector handle , we had confidence in your common sense
Kirk lol ! Let us know how it goes .

P.S. Did you get the assembly back in without any assistance (wife) never hurts to have an extra set of hands !

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
snuffyinatl
Dewalt 3800 pressure washer, open hole between pump and engine.
Hi, I just bought a dewalt 3800 pressure washer gx...
ron111
Toro 826 Drive Belt Jumps Off Crankshaft Pulley
Hello, I have a nine year old Toro Powermax 826. Late...
ronpr2112
Older Troy Built Tiller Model ID
Trying to indentify model number of my unit. It is...
gardenerfrank
Reciprocating Saw
I am looking to buy a reciprocating saw. I am not looking...
pirate94
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™