recommendations for appropriate mulcher-shredder?

Fat_Raven_FarmJanuary 21, 2013

I need help making a spendy tool purchase. I need a good heavy duty garden shredder-mulcher for seasonal clean up for a 2 acre garden and orchard, something that can handle woody stems from shrubs, cornstalks, tomato vines, berry canes, lots of leaves and reeds. Something that can handle a lot of it, and not clog itself up on fibrous things like cornstalks. I would really appreciate recommendations for a good gas powered one, with a good starter so I'm not repeatedly pulling a heavy flywheel when I have to start it (hate that). I've had an old craftsman from OSH and have grown to loath its nasty choke, uncooperative flywheel and annoying habit of clogging after one-half of a cornstalk. Ideally under $600, but I'll consider a higher priced one if it's got multiple rave reviews. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hellyeahitis

Ufortunately, it's going to be impossible to find a new quality chipper at the price point you are shopping. There is hope however. Your best bet is going to be a used older Troy-Bilt Super Tomahawk or an older MacKissic 12P chipper. Both of those would suit you well. You will have to be patient and spend some time finding one, and may have to do some work/maintenance on it when you get it, but it will treat you well.

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 10:35PM
More Discussions
Snow Thrower impeller
I have a Craftsman 9 hp dual stage snow thrower, that...
fjs001
Testing the new format X allowing multiple attachments.
I am back to two Lexan chain guides due to a chain...
loger_gw
Dewalt 3800 pressure washer, open hole between pump and engine.
Hi, I just bought a dewalt 3800 pressure washer gx...
ron111
Older Troy Built Tiller Model ID
Trying to indentify model number of my unit. It is...
gardenerfrank
2 stroke Mantis tiller vs. 4 stroke Mantis
I'm looking at buying a small Mantis cultivator but...
lil_rhody
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™