Rose of Sharon - Recommendations

shw104(7)October 5, 2009

Hello,

I'm planning a bit for my spring projects and would like to plant 3-4 Rose of Sharon bushes along our property line. I have a couple fairly small bushes growning now and they are doing amazingly well. The area I am thinking about gets a lot of sun, especially in the morning.

My current two plants both get white blooms. I know they come in lots of colors and I'd like to have some variety.

Anyone with any good recommendations of types of Rose of Sharon bushes and colors? Which ones would grow the best in my climate zone (Central Maryland/Baltimore)? Where is the best place to pick them up (online??). I have no been impressed with the selections (and prices) at my local nurseries.

Thank you!!

Scott

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WendyB(5A/MA)

I like 'Lucy' double clear pink. 'Blue Satin' is a sorta new one that is also very nice. Large med-blue-lavender flowers with dark and white centers. I got my B.S. from Bluestone in 2005. It is now a good 4' tall. I got my Lucy from a locale nursery. It is huge and I cut it down to 1-2' every few years.

Can't speak to locale question.

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 8:54PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Scott, I recently saw Blue Satin at our local Lowes store. It was a nice sized 3 gallon plant for about $15. They have had other colors throughout the summer too. Rose of Sharon seems to be one of those plants that you just have to be continually on the lookout for. They are around, but not consistently. Good luck.

Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 7:47PM
conniesc(5)

I just purchased the sugar tip rose of sharon. It is a little tiny thing but I just could resist the Variegated and double blooms. Internet special at park seeds :)

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 9:04PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The "blue" cultivars are considerably more unusual and visually arresting than the others. Lots of other kinds of white-, pink- and purple-flowered shrubs.

Likewise the open trumpets of the natural single flower forms are more eye-catching than most of the doubles, which may appear like wadded tissues.

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 10:39PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Agree with the post above, the open trumpet types are much more impactful. The Aphrodite that I have does have seedlings that appear but die off late fall.

I have to say I am not a fan of ROS in groupings. I have one guy in my neighborhood that planted 5 in a row on his property line and it just looks ugly, because of the various heights and widths.

I think they are better suited for specimans.

Bookmark   October 14, 2009 at 5:20PM
tree_oracle(z6b MA)

Another vote for Lucy. Here are some pics of mine:

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 10:25PM
butterfly4u

SHW,
Moonshine Designs Nursery sells on Ebay, I bought a Rose of Sharon from them, the Blue satin, beautiful plant and they are reasonable.
They are a regular nursery and sell Proven Winners.
Rose of Sharon is a wonderful shrub or tree, just watch out for all the offspring, lol, you certainly have to mow your lawn frequently. (or give them to your friends)

Bookmark   November 4, 2009 at 12:33AM
More Discussions
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
Thuja occidentalis smaragd browning
Hi. I planted these Thuja occidentalis smaragds about...
reyetwinger
What is on the branches of my Pittosporum tree?
What is it? Is it a problem and how do I get rid of...
ajackinthebox
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
What variety of evergreen is this? Pic included
Moved into my house 2.5 years ago. I'd like to possibly...
stlmom77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™