Homelite hand held leaf blower problem

looking4answers_2010January 20, 2010

I have a hand held Homelite leaf blower that has a problem that causes the RPM to go up to full speed then down to almost idle then starts the process all over again. While this is happening, air is blowing into the gas tank. This causes large bubbles in the tank and is probably causing the engine to slow down until the bubbles quit and it can suck gas to the carburator again. It starts easily and runs great for a few minutes before the problem starts. Recently the carburator and block came loose but that has been re-tightened and the blower worked great for about 15 minutes then the problem started all over. During the time it ran properly there was no sign of bubbles in the carburator. Any ideas what may be causing air to be blown back into the carburator will be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glenam

Make sure the fuel lines are good. If suspect, replace with new line, it's inexpensive.
thanks,

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 9:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
empjr(SE USA)

I have had a Homelite blower for almost 20 years and never a problem until last fall when leaves began falling. Then it began to act similar to the way you describe except for blowing bubbles in the tank. It would run at full speed when first started then begin to run erratically and lose RPMs and finally shut down. I tried several things, mixed fresh gas and oil, cleaned the air filter, checked the fuel line, etc, but nothing helped until I tried adjusting the carburetor. The adjusting screws have plastic seals which limit how far you can turn them in either direction, but I had to remove those seals to get enough turning space to get it running properly. After adjusting the air/fuel mixture it ran fine for the rest of the season. I'm not saying that your blower's problem is caused by the same thing as mine was, and it may not be advisable in the long run to remove the adjustment screw limits. I'm just saying what worked for me when I got to the point that I was willing to try anything, and if I ruined the old blower I would buy a new one. Taking it to a small engine repair shop around here would have cost almost as much as a new one.

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
Tecumseh snow king fuel starvation?
My Tecumseh powered Toro snowblower hunts/surges and...
akachrisinmass
honda snowblower problem
i have a honda 928 snowblower... good machine, but...
rudall
Temperature alarm app for Android?
I am wondering if anyone knows of an Android app that...
armbarangel
General craftsman tiller gearbox question.
Ages ago in the early 90's, I bought a Craftsman 5hp...
bliackbeard
cultivator or tiller or both
In the past I've manually tilled and cultivated my...
Edwin Turlington
Sponsored Products
Grass Gator Universal Bump & Feed Trimmer Head - 1223-1023
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Grass Gator Weed II Replacement Head - 1223-0934
$26.99 | Hayneedle
Grass Gator 3 Piece Brush Cutter Replacement Blades - 1223-0967
$23.99 | Hayneedle
Grass Gator Weed II Replacement Blades - 3 Pack - 1223-0942
$21.99 | Hayneedle
Grass Gator Trimmer Line - Pack of 20 - 1223-1015
$21.99 | Hayneedle