Please help me save my Hebe :(

angels-questOctober 4, 2006

Hi there,

I have four different Hebe's, each growing in their own container in the garden.Three are doing well, especially the gorgeous 'Purple Pixie'.

But one of the more golden leaved Hebe's has turned almost completely brown :(

Can anyone tell me what has happenend? A very few of it's leaves are still the golden colour, the rest are all a yukky brown. All the Hebe's are in similar positions in the garden, all were getting pretty much full sun (but now we are having the cold spell & rain).

Although the 'problem' Hebe started turning dark brown way before this cold spell set in.

I'd appreciate any advice at all, i really dont want to lose my Hebe.

Hugs,

mandy (UK)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i know nothing about them ... so i had to google them .. hmmm ... evergreen veronica .. go figure...

i am surprised how much they look like daphne ... on my computer screen anyway ... lol

seems to be a good link below ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: veronica????

Bookmark   October 5, 2006 at 9:36AM
gardengal48

As long as drainage is sharp, hebes tend not to be prone to many problems, fungal leaf spotting aside. I have recently read reports of incidences of fusarium and verticillium affecting isolated hebe growing operations however, and your description certainly sounds somewhat verticillium-like. If this is the case, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for the affected plant. Just toss it out and don't replant another hebe in same container unless soil is replaced and container has been sterilized.

Bookmark   October 5, 2006 at 11:25AM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

More likely to be a case of either underwatering or overwatering. Hebes don't like waterlogging or extended drought, fairly tolerant in the ground but a bit more picky in a pot. Cold is a potential problem for some Hebes but it hasn't yet been cold enough to cause trouble this year.

Bookmark   October 7, 2006 at 5:13PM
rab60bit

I've two purple leaf shrub hebe's (planted from 7-8" pots last autumn). They have both grown-on well and flowered wonderfully late June/early July - then they just appear to have lost most leaves and look a sorry, dry mess.
The only thing I've done to them (together with young buxus hedge plants and another couple of [different] purple leaf hebes that are currently in flower/very healthy leaf) is cover the area around/in between them with a light weed supressing membrane and 20mm slate chips
What's happened and can I recover them?

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 7:47PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Dig up a dry one and look at the roots. The plastic may be preventing it getting enough water. You will probably live to regret the weed fabric as the debris builds up on it and it becomes a nice substrate for new weeds to germinate.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 5:56AM
More Discussions
What is on the branches of my Pittosporum tree?
What is it? Is it a problem and how do I get rid of...
ajackinthebox
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
Jelena witch hazel
Spring 2012 few blooms Spring 2013 it bloomed great. Spring...
mainegard3
'Sugar Shack' Buttonbush
Anyone have experience with this cultivar? I've always...
northraleighguy
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™