Can Burning Bushes get Sunscald?

ilovemytrees(5b/6a Western, NY)October 3, 2013

Hi.

The way my yard is set up, almost all of my plantings are on the Southwest portion of my yard. Absolutely everything I have EVER planted has gotten sunscald, everything, except my Golden Raintree, which I have wrapped every winter. Even my European Hornbeam Fastigiatas I planted last year, known as Iron Wood, got sunscald last winter. I was pissed because we did our best to shade them strategically with burlap but the winds off the lake blew the burlap to smithereens halfway through winter.

I now have Burning Bushes, (please don't be mad about that, they have sentimental meaning to me, and besides, they are all around me) so I'm concerned about them getting it too. I'm considering wrapping them, or getting shrub jackets.. Remember this isn't about zone hardiness, it's about winter sun.

Has anyone EVER heard of burning bushes getting sunscald? My plantings get Full Sun from sunrise to sunset, and couple that with them being in the Southwest part of my yard, and I am thinking it's possible.

This post was edited by ilovemytrees on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 0:59

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Those don't have substantial, exposed trunks like the trees do.

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 1:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

can we see pix ... its been a long time ...

do you fert??? ... ferting things that dont need it.. can cause weird issues... just guessing here ...

and.. with scald ... i swear the damage can be years old.. before it SHOWS .... so this MIGHT be a transplant issue .. since your garden isnt that old .... and you tend to favor large transplants. if i recall ....

on a shrub.. one would expect.. even bare branches.. to shade the trunk from winter sun .... just enough to avoid such ... so we would then reject that theory.. and have to dream up others ...

as a shrub.. you would do rejuventation pruning on these.. over the years.. and damaged parts.. are removed ...

its an intrigue.. but not something i would lose sleep on .. nor worry about.. and i know you are a worrier ... so try not to

ken

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 8:24AM
More Discussions
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
Selecting shrubs for my new front bed
I'm in the planning stages for the bed at the southeast...
nonconformist_nymphette
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™