Best lubricant for snow blower?

jscozzJanuary 5, 2010

I just got a new snow blower. Craftsman 88830. I am looking for advice on the best lubricant for the chute... I have read other forums where people have used Pam, silicone spray, white lithium grease spray, WD40 spray, etc.

What has worked for you to keep the snow from sticking and lasted the longest without slopping up the unit?

Any other areas to spray or lube before each use?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andyma_gw

Follow the manual instructions for engine oil. Check the oil level prior to each use.

Bookmark   January 5, 2010 at 10:48PM
canguy(British Columbia)

Engine oil on the chute would be kinda messy. Heavy wet snow will stick no matter what you use, don't try to take too much on each pass, keep the engine speed up and if it clogs, shut the engine off and use a stick or similar tool to clear it. Never stick your hand in the chute.

Bookmark   January 5, 2010 at 11:36PM
ewalk

The most important change with chute design is the new plastics . You do not need any additional lube for the chute . As Canguy advised maintain the unit within common sense , apply a good wax prior to the 1st usage keep the unit clean in the off season and rewax or paint as req.d lubricate and change oil as operation manual suggests , I would go with a Multi Grade Synthetic and have a great day !

Bookmark   January 6, 2010 at 12:04AM
jscozz

Thanks for the feedback...

As for the wax... regular car wax, or more like a ski wax? Just in the chute or the auger housing interior also?

Bookmark   January 6, 2010 at 12:28AM
ewalk

Just the Auger Housing ! Normal Good Garde Car Wax is all that is req'd once or twice a season . As also advised by
Canguy use the Blower according to his recommendation it will save a lot of grief.

Bookmark   January 6, 2010 at 5:33AM
jscozz

Thanks!

As for engine oil... the manual says 5W-30 or 0W-30 synthetic... I plan to use synthetic after the first oil change at about 2 hours or fun time... if there any specific type of 0W-30 oil that is best? i.e. brand or other type (i.e. car, motor cycle, etc.)... I read somewhere that there are certain mixes that are better for small engines than car oil... any truth to that?

Bookmark   January 6, 2010 at 10:33AM
jscozz

That was supposed to say "of run time" not "or fun time"... although, I am anxiously awaiting the fun time of the first snow fall... got a few flurries today, but I think the neighbors will be concerned if run the blower with no accumulation on the ground! :)

Bookmark   January 6, 2010 at 10:36AM
ewalk

No any Brand Name 0W-30W Multi Grade Synthetic will suffice . You will notice really easy manual or elect. starting in the Colder weather and much better viscosity
protection during warmer weather . Go with what you can get the best price on . Any of the leading Manufactuers are pretty well the same , marketing will determine your preference lol . Your idea of utilizing the Break in Oil for the Run in is a good idea !

Bookmark   January 6, 2010 at 1:16PM
jscozz

That was supposed to say "of run time" not "or fun time"... although, I am anxiously awaiting the fun time of the first snow fall... got a few flurries today, but I think the neighbors will be concerned if run the blower with no accumulation on the ground! :)

Bookmark   January 6, 2010 at 9:45PM
GreatMountainView_yahoo_com

I saw your question and thought this would help you. I came across a product that works wonderfully and can be used with many different applications. It is called Clean Deck Graphite. You should prepare all your snow removal equipment by using Clean Deck Graphite on the snow blower outlet chute and deflector, the scraper bar and on the shave plate and auger too. If you have a snow plow blade and a snow shovel, the product works great on them also to prevent the build-up of wet snow. For regular snow removal, you only have to apply Clean Deck Graphite once a year vs. the other non-stick options you spoke about which have to be applied every time you go out to remove any snow. Cleaning up after you are done is pretty easy too as the snow will not stick to your equipment if you coated everything properly and if there is any small residue left behind on the coated areas, you just lightly rinse it off with a water hose. I have really enjoyed using this product. They have a website, but I do not think it is allowed to be posted here in this forum. Just search for the name of the product and you should be able to find it. I hope this helps.

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
McCullough Pro Mac 700 has to be a professional grade saw vs a Home?
Servicing/Starting my Neighbor’s McCullough Pro Mac...
loger_gw
Older Troy Built Tiller Model ID
Trying to indentify model number of my unit. It is...
gardenerfrank
Harbor Freight small utility tralier question
I just purchased this harbor freight trailer. http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-capacity-40-1-2-half-inch-x-48-inch-mini-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-four-lug-wheels-and-tires-90153.html I...
rlmunsey
Garage Door Opener Repair tips PT1 long
Hi all, it seems to me that in general GDO posters...
techdave
cultivator or tiller or both
In the past I've manually tilled and cultivated my...
Bushwhacker Blood
Sponsored Products
Impressions Mirror
| Dot & Bo
Essex Estate One-Line Address Plaque - Multicolored, Wall
$229.00 | FRONTGATE
Area Rug: John Brown 8' x 10' Oval
Home Depot
Wailea Snow White 31-Inch Outdoor Ceiling Fan
$219.00 | Bellacor
32 Gal. Personalized Diamond Waste Receptacle
Fifthroom.com