mini rose,dying plants/ wilting new leaves

archoo16(5b, MO)April 5, 2013

Hi, these are valentines gift :D I read the saving mini roses thread and repotted them separately. Its been almost 2 weeks . They put up new leaves and then the leaves before becoming large, wilt and die. In the added pictures, you can see new fresh leaves emerging, but they die before they become large. And some of the stalk have died off . :( What else can I do to save them? It does not have any black spots. I water them if the top is dry. It used to have powdery mildew when it came, and I sprayed it with some dilute mouth wash and a drop of liquid soap and oil. No powdery mildew now . It gets good sun all day.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

Roses hate, loathe, despise being indoors! If it is too cold to plant them outdoors yet, I would store them in your garage or other sheltered cold place. Then as soon as it is warm enough, plant them in the ground. Roses are not indoor plants, period.

Jackie

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 12:21PM
floridarosez9

I would remove rocks in the one pot, and I would have repotted in a wider pot. As Jackie says, they need to be outside, but start them out in dappled shade and slowly move into sun.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 12:40PM
archoo16(5b, MO)

OK, will do.Hope they like it outside. So you guys dont think its some disease? will update on how they do. Thanks.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:36PM
lola-lemon(5b East WA)

Water might be an issue. Those pots look like they don't drain (no holes in bottom). Overwatering your roses can cause root rot. I dont know how old those are or how much roots they have, but you might be careful to not keep them soggy.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:45PM
archoo16(5b, MO)

I got them for this year's Valentines day. And potted them separately 2 weeks ago. They have decent roots, but they are baby plants.

Those are yogurt containers, each have 3 holes on their underside of abt 1 -1.5 cm diameter. They drain well. I really dont know what is wrong.
I put them outside today.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 5:53PM
charleney(8a PNW)

put em outside.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 8:48PM
susan4952(5)

I would repot up....cut back tips....and it appears you have more than one in each pot
There was a good post on separating mini grocery store roses. It involved soaking and separating. See if the search window pulls up an info. I think it was named Repotting Minis.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 11:39PM
susan4952(5)

And how deep are they? Maybe the soaking replanting was too much stress.
And move them outside...ASAP.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 12:11AM
seil zone 6b MI

When you get them outside take the trays off the bottoms of the cups too. Those trays are holding water so the pots don't drain freely. The soil in the bottom is probably too wet because of it.

Get some one gallon nursery pots. Most local nurseries will have them and they're cheap. Carefully repot them without disturbing the existing root balls in good potting soil. Trim off any die back on the canes and any dead leaves. Take them outside and put them in full sun, in a well protected place. You're in a cold zone and it's early yet so you may have to do the in and out routine for a bit because of frosts. Put them up on something so the drainage holes are free to work properly. Keep them evenly watered but not drowning and do not fertilize them. Then be patient. As long as the canes remain green and do not shrivel they'll be OK. It may take some weeks for them to start to grow on top but in the meantime the roots will be growing below to support them.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 12:03PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Indoor roses nearly always get spider mites, which suck the life out of the foliage. Look for very fine webs, hardly visible, on the backs of the leaves.

As everyone says, roses are not house plants.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 6:45PM
archoo16(5b, MO)

I put them out 2 days ago. Look at them go!!! They love it outside. They have put out so many new purply leaves. Awesome!! I think they didnt like the controlled temperature and air indoors.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 12:06PM
floridarosez9

Excellent. They look much better. Roses don't like anything about indoors, but the major factor Is no sun.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 4:07PM
seil zone 6b MI

And too low humidity. Even on the driest days outside it's damper than you would want your house to be.

They look great! Good for you!

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 8:55PM
susan4952(5)

Congrats!

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 10:00PM
archoo16(5b, MO)

Thanks guys. I never would have thought just taking them outside would have made such a difference! They gt sun all day at their old spot , yet they were sickly. Like Seil said must be the lack of humidity.

Now I cant wait for the red gorgeous blooms. Will update a pic when they start.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 11:11PM
sunflowersrus222(7a Pa)

I'm wondering how your roses are doing now. Been following this thread and watching for updates.

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
Rose thorn infection update
For those who missed the last thread on the subject,...
alisande
Anyone grow Delbard roses (like Dames de Chenonceau)?
I've been told that the Delbards are a lot like Austins....
gardenerzone4
Photos won't post
I was able to post a photo from my computer last week....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
I just gotta have it!
I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a...
sara_ann-z6bok
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™