Is it O.K. to prune in 35 degree temps?

bonny46(6)April 16, 2014

Crazy weather we're having here in Northwest NJ (zone 6)! We had snow flurries last night, and there is still a dusting of snow on the shady part of my deck. This is my spring break, and I planned to prune my roses today since this is when I have the time. Our forsythia are in bloom and grass is green. However, right now the temp is 31 degrees, and it will get to the upper 30s this afternoon (with a low overnight of 27). Will it hurt my roses to prune today?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

I wouldn't worry about it. It seems to me the only reason I've never done it is that I don't like being out working when it is that cold, and can wait a few days for things to warm up. The forecast temperatures are way above damaging cold, and the plants are in sync with the temperatures.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 11:18AM
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

I pruned today... I took a look at our 7 day weather forecast and it looked good so I pruned away...It was 35 degrees at the time..

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 11:23AM
bonny46(6)

Thanks to both of you for the replies!! I really don't like the cold either, but this is when I have time to do it. I didn't want to lose the afternoon. So, I'm bundling up and heading out. :)

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 1:18PM
henryinct

Back in CT I pruned as early as late February and as late as mid April. Do it before they start to sprout and you probably will have to do it again later anyway. When you do it too soon you sometimes don't know what is dead and what isn't and if you do it too late you have to cut off new growth on canes that aren't worth keeping. If the forsythia is blooming in z6 that is a month late and about as late as I remember it ever blooming in z6b sw CT. I would do the pruning no matter how cold it is.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 5:03PM
seil zone 6b MI

Go for it! If the forsythia and grass are growing the roses will be too. I don't think this cold snap will last long before it goes back to spring temps and your roses will be all ready to take off.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 6:27PM
More Discussions
Have roses, need someone with shovel to take them home...
After the last garden move, I swore it wouldn't happen...
roseseek
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Counting the Days!
Generally it starts after Christmas with me, truthfully...
sara_ann-z6bok
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
Partial Shade Miniflora
I am looking for some Minifloras that would be okay...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™