Fothergilla Broken Branch

mainegard3(5b-6a)October 16, 2010

I bought a dwarf fothergilla this summer so it is about 2ft and turning some colors for fall. My 5 year old accidently stepped on it which made "time stand still" for me as I imagined the worst. There was one broken branch on the ground and another in tact but slightly broke in the middle. I know buds for the spring set now. With that said, should I just cut off the branch or will it kind of heal itself? As for the branch that fell off completely, I assume sticking it in the ground back into its center like a forsythia wouldn't help. Does this plant fill out fast in the spring? Sorry for the odd questions but I am quite frustrated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainegrower(Z5b ME)

The branch is very unlikely to "heal itself", so cut it off. Sticking the loose branch back in the ground will probably not work, but it's worth trying. Fothergillas root very easily as long as they don't dry out.

Don't worry. Fothergillas are tough plants which sucker and spread from the roots - sometimes a little too agressively - so yours will be fine next spring and beyond even if it's too young to blooom next spring.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 6:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

the simple rule.. on any plant.. is that broken or damaged branches are removed ...

there is no plant specific requirement on this ...

and that would include any branches that cross and rub on each other.. causing a festering wound ...

most shrubs ... once fully established.. can nearly be run over with a truck .. and live [though they may not be pretty for a few years.. lol]...

so anything a 5 year old can do is considered minimal ... shrubs .. by my definition are just that hardy .... unless you are collecting foo foo plants to show off your gardening achievements.....

but that doesnt include your plant ...

what would have made time stand still is if your 5 year old was hurt .. the damage to this plant is irrelevant ...

ken

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 9:49AM
More Discussions
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™