need small hand saw for pruning

kimpa(z6b PA)February 7, 2012

How do you cut in tight spots? I will gouge into near branches if I use my regular hand saw. I think I have seen a length of chain that I could hold one side in each hand and pull back and forth to hand cut branches but my searches don't find any. Any suggestions? Thanks, Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loger_gw

Look at rope saws at the 1st link below. They can be a bit challenging at good heights to get the rope/chain over the limbs. Two individuals at distances apart vs one will get less binding/pinching on the chain. They Work But Are Work To Use At A Distance UP. Pole saws are better for close limbs, IMO (2nd link). OR pruning hand saws, search Home Depot Etc.. loger

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0amp;Ntk=All&Ntt=rope+saw&Nty=1&D=rope+saw&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?keyword=manual+pole+saw&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 10:27AM
kimpa(z6b PA)

Thank you. Yes, that is what I was thinking of. I don't need it for high places. I want a tool that will allow me to cut in tight places. Like for cutting out select branches on a multi-trunked shrub. My hand pruning saw hits the branches I want. I thought I rope saw could prevent other damage. Will look into it. I really need a fine rope saw but it may be too delicate and break.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 7:23AM
loger_gw

I agree the rope saw will not do well on small dia cuts. The Lopping sheers might be your best option (search at Home Depot Etc). It is also hard to visualize a hand pruning saw with the small pointed end that cuts very fine w/n work. Please add a link to your saw or similar. loger

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 10:20AM
slowpoke_gardener

I have never used a rope saw and know nothing about them, but I have pretty good luck with my lopping shears and my recip saws. The recip is so handy because there is so many different blades you can use in them to cut wood, plastic or metal. Larry

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 11:24AM
loger_gw

The rope saw is a section of chainsaw chain in between two ropes. It is a coarse cutting chain design for cutting limbs high up while you are on the ground. loger

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 12:27PM
inkognito

You need a hand saw with Greek set teeth used nowadays on Japanese saws. This means that you cut on the draw rather than the push, fine quality saws are narrow at the end and once you get the first cut in you are good to go.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 6:17PM
bi11me(5b)

This is what you need for really fine cuts in tight spaces.

Here is a link that might be useful: spiral wire saw

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
What locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs Quantum Edge Engine?
I wanted to see what locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs...
loger_gw
New Ryobi S430 engine dies on full throttle
Just bought a new Ryobi straight shaft 4 Cycle S430...
losrubios
Waterproofing a basement
I get water in my basement just about every spring...
huskymaniacny
Woodzig electric pruner
I have a Woodzig electric pruner and use it often....
ranger_ric
honda snowblower problem
i have a honda 928 snowblower... good machine, but...
rudall
Sponsored Products
New Veg Dyed Cherry Red Super Kazak 3' X 5' Hand Knotted Oriental Area Rug H5182
BH Sun Inc
Safavieh Hand-woven Ultimate Beige Shag Rug (4' x 6')
Overstock.com
Conran Blue and Off-White Rectangular Throw Pillow with Bella-Dura Fabric, Set o
$65.99 | Bellacor
Crystal Burgundy Set Of Four Red Wine Glasses
Classic Hostess
Clouds Dakota Square Zig Zag Chandelier by Justice Design Group
$756.00 | Lumens
Red Rock BBQ Cooking Stone
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Fridgeware - Extra Large
$47.99 | Dot & Bo
Ridgely Studio Works | Level Criss Cross LED Linear Pendant Light
YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™