cherry red muffler

exmarFebruary 25, 2012

Hi,

Got an email from a buddy in RI who is doing some "head scratching" over a Kawasaki, 18 HP, 2 cylinder PROPANE on a big buffer. Muffler runs cherry red. He's changed both coils and plugs, checked compression, air cleaner was changed recently. From the little I know, sounds like the classic "running on one cylinder" and unburned gas getting dumped into exhaust. However, propane isn't something I'm familiar with. He routinely works on these and when he saw it, he immediately changed the coils and plugs as that is the "classic" fix. Bad coil out of the box? He still has an inductive timing light and I suggested he try that to verify both plugs are firing.

Sorry, no model numbers.

17 here today, 50's by monday, this is winter?

Ev

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loger_gw

Check the valve clearance for proper specs. That has been my experience with some 4 cycle engines exhaust valve stretched or burned. It could be a bad exhaust valve causing a loss of combustion gases. loger

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 10:57AM
bill_kapaun

It's running too lean.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 1:40PM
ewalk

Have him check his spark plugs (white or light tan colouration) one or both cylinders are running overly Hot . I concur with Bill that probably a lean condition is basic cause. He may have a gasket problem on the intake system .

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 9:21AM
loger_gw

I have seen a cherry red exhaust manifold on a 4 cyl fuel injection Volvo system due to a lean mixture after replacing an engine and the mixture h/n been adjusted. Otherwise, I have see it on small 4 cyl engines related to bad valves or valve adjustments. Good Luck! loger

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 6:20PM
exmar

Thanks for all the good infor. I've passed it along.

The good news is he has it working and it has gone back to the WalMart Super Center who owns it. The manager is very unhappy to pay him the $65 an hour, but his automotive folks can't fix it.....:-)

It all came down to valve adjustment. I'll quote from his email:

Conflicting opinions from two propane manufacturers, 5 and 7 thousandths from Onyx and 9-10 on both valves with aztec. Went back to 5-7 on the wet side (one piston had an oily residue) the other side was left at 9 and I'm not touching it!!! It's now running fine, no more cherry muffler. Wallyworld was also told they can call someone else next time unless my company takes over the routine maintenance. FAT CHANCE. The whole thing makes no sense to me!!!

Thanks for all the information. Just wanted to tell you how the story ended.

Ev

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 3:28PM
More Discussions
Any owners of the Troy-bilt Cultivator Plus?
I bought this around 1984 and have never seen another...
baymee
General craftsman tiller gearbox question.
Ages ago in the early 90's, I bought a Craftsman 5hp...
bliackbeard
What’s a good safe cure to stop or slow root entering sewer line?
What’s a good safe cure to stop or slow root entering...
loger_gw
Garage Door Opener Repair tips PT1 long
Hi all, it seems to me that in general GDO posters...
techdave
What locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs Quantum Edge Engine?
I wanted to see what locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs...
loger_gw
Sponsored Products
Air Wave H5 2 Suspension
Lightology
'The Red Hot Pot' Silicone Trivet
$6.99 | zulily
Launch Stacking Bar Stool Set of 4 in Red
$409.00 | LexMod
Shelby Red Table Lamp
$195.00 | Horchow
High Frequency Pillow Cover in Cherry
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Revolution Red Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 9 In. Rug
$254.15 | Bellacor
American Drew Jessica McClintock-The Boutique Collection Oval Cocktail Table - W
$840.00 | Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - The Sovereign Electric Fireplace and Wall Mirror...
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™