Ariens Rototiller

caseyjFebruary 4, 2009

I have an older rototiller that I purchased new in 1974 that has gone through the 1st engine (7hp) and now I have installed a second engine that is 8hp.

An ongoing problem that I have had with it is that it tends to back fire the more I work it. This is true with both engines. Now, I'm thinking that maybe I have a problem in the gear drive that has always been there.

When I turn the tines manually, they seem to have some resistance on them but this hard to tell because of heavy gears they are. In order to get to these gears, there is a large cap that has a fitting in it about 2 inches long. Looks like a screw driver slot. What type of tool do you use to open this up and pull out the drive shaft to check the bearings?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ggoyeneche

That type of cap on the gearbox is usually for adjusting the preload on the worm of a worm gear drive.

However, most worm drives will not allow the sector gear (tines shaft) to rotate the worm (input shaft), so I'm not sure what you have.

As for backfiring, need to know model and spec number of engine. If it is a Briggs, and older than 1983, you should check condenser (moot issue if electronic ignition) and on any Briggs I'd check valve operation and clearances.

Bookmark   February 4, 2009 at 12:55PM
caseyj

Thank you for your response. The back firing has been an issue with both engines. That's why I am suspious of the worm gears. I can't tell how much drag there should be on the tines when there is no power applied. I am thinking that maybe there is a bearing that is worn or broke that puts too much stress on the engine thus making it run hotter than normal and back firing. When the tiller is under load, it settles down, however, I don't see much action on the governor in either case? The carb linkage on the new engine is a straight pull to the carb with no spring attached. Maybe I've answered my own question?

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 5:24PM
NOHOLN1_COMCAST_NET

Ariens M 901012 Need High Gear for Transmission #001208 No longer available from Ariens Can anyone help me Jim

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 5:47AM
More Discussions
Primer not getting Gas?? After Carb Rebuid?
I just rebuilt a couple snow blower Carbs (both Tecumseh...
bertman_gw
Craftsman Snow Blower - Drive problem
During our big storm last week i noticed I started...
rspin
Older Troy Built Tiller Model ID
Trying to indentify model number of my unit. It is...
gardenerfrank
Craftsman Snowblower Recall
Did anyone else receive a recall notice in the mail...
pjrsjr
Snow Thrower impeller
I have a Craftsman 9 hp dual stage snow thrower, that...
fjs001
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™