Please Help Save My Shrubs!!

tantadoodles(z6 CT)November 4, 2009

I impulsively purchased many potted shrubs in the spring of this year ('09) that I have yet to plant in the ground. Unfortunately, I have run out of time to dig the bed that they were supposed to go into.

Is there any way to save them over the winter to be planted in the spring?

The shrubs in question are: Rhododendren, Endless Summer Hydrangea, Winter Gem Boxwood, and True Dwarf English Boxwood.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prairiegirlz5

You've just made a little extra work for yourself, that's all. Unless the ground is frozen solid I would go ahead and plant the shrubs, pot and all, so that the lip of the pot is buried, in an existing bed. In spring, when the forsythia blooms, dig up the pots and carefully cut them away from the root balls. Trim any circling roots, water well and plant as you would normally. Otherwise you'd have to treat them like large houseplants, this way they will get acclimated to the outdoor conditions in your yard at least.

Bookmark   November 4, 2009 at 11:53AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

the key is: GET THEM DORMANT.. KEEP THEM DORMANT ...

there are many options:

if you have a veggie garden.. and draining soil .....just dig hole and stick the pot and all in ... 'hold them over' until ground thaw in spring ...

get a couple bales of hay .. and group the pots and surround with hay .... and loosely put some inside the contraption ...

place them on the north side of a building... out of all winter sun.. and protect from winter wind ....

any of the above should work .. again.. get them dormant.. and keep them dormant .. and protect the pots from winter wind and winter sun ... black pots get hot, relatively speaking.. and you cant have thawed roots and a dormant plant ...

and do NOT allow melting snow or rain fill a frozen pot with water ... and create an ice cube ... roots need air.. as much as water in winter .... if nothing else.. just knock the pot over after it freezes to avoid such ...

good luck

ken

Bookmark   November 4, 2009 at 11:58AM
tantadoodles(z6 CT)

Thanks! I will stick 'em in the ground close together in their pots in an existing bed. It won't look pretty but hopefull they'll all survive till spring when I can fix the situation!

Thanks!

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 6:08PM
More Discussions
What is on the branches of my Pittosporum tree?
What is it? Is it a problem and how do I get rid of...
ajackinthebox
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
Recs For Underused Ornamental Shrubs
Can you share some that you'd think would be planted...
catkin
Does anyone know what kind of shrub this is?
Landscaper planted it calling it silver green, but...
pebbles81
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™