What Perennial is Growing out of this Rock?

Suzi AKA DesertDanceApril 8, 2013

We purchased the house in January, and I thought this was just a weed. Now it has leafed out, and has these clusters of beautiful lavender flowers here and there.

I can't get a closer shot because it's high on a rock. I had to stand on the edge of our road to snap the photo.

I'd love to somehow lop off some cuttings and try to propagate it to put in a better place.

It gets no water. Can you ID it?

Thanks!

Suzi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

gather seed.. once you ID ...

down near the bottom.. can you get a leaf cluster.. in focus???

and to clarify.. it gets whatever water it needs.. why do you suggest it gets no water???? .. and should you get a piece started.. it might not like highly amended soil that retains a lot of water ... its 'showing' you what it can deal with.. dont make presumptions otherwise ...

ken

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 11:55AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

I'll try again. The hardest thing is it's high on the rock, and I have to stand on the road to take a shot.

I can't climb up and reach it to get any seeds.

There is an irrigation system on the hill, but not anywhere near the rock. This is growing in the heat of southern California. It must be a perennial or tree because it was dormant in January when we bought the property, and now it has leafed out.

The name your plant forum thinks the flower is not related to the shrub, but growing out of a different crack in the rock.

Suzi

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 6:00PM
Campanula UK Z8

I agree with the name that plant forum because I think the flower is some sort of verbena (not being familiar with US natives, I hesitate to offer a specific species type). Am very clueless what the other plant might be.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 3:48PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

Name that plant forum has ID'd it as common name: Desert Willow. I believe that's what it is. I googled it, and it has lovely pink flowers with long pods. There are 2 such trees across the road, so it probably grew from a seed.

Suzi

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 6:19PM
More Discussions
Would you be willing to share your favorite plant markers?
I've been eyeing the copper and zinc ones but just...
oldbat2be
hhibiscus propagation
how much time it takes for rooting airlayering of Hibiscus...
prasadmbd
daves10
PSA: Please set up messaging feature in your profile!
Not sure if you guys are aware you are able to do this....
mxk3
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™