Need source for asian Hoe Handle

gyozu(7 Winston-Salem, NC)February 7, 2011

I am posting this here since I could not find a hand tool section.

Looking for replacement handles for hoe imprinted "Crocodile Anchor 3# made in thailand 2914c" It is a heavy digging hoe with a non standard Eye. I also found a similar hoe made in china by tombo. It is their model h301.

This is not carried by any local farm or garden supply store.

Here is photo.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
exmar

I had a similar problem only it was an Italian "Grape Hoe" I think it's called. Ended up buying a replacement wooden handle for a post hole digger and shaping the square end to fit the half-round hole. Interesting, the tools look very similar?

Good luck,

Ev

Bookmark   February 7, 2011 at 1:32PM
gonzalo_silverio_gmail_com

I have seen that brand in large Chinese grocery stores - I bought one in a store in Ann Arbor, MI

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 10:44AM
gyozu(7 Winston-Salem, NC)

Thanks for that tip. I did go back to the store where I bought it. They had handles, but they would not sell them by themselves. You had to buy the handle, head and wedge together.

I ended up getting handle that was for either a post hole digger or a wheel barrow and shaping that to fit. Works fine and it was $8.00 for the blank.

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 11:35AM
sandforsoil(6)

Good to know! Was it the same length?

Also - my blade keeps shaking loose - am doing something wrong when I put the wedge in obviously. Any tips or instructions?

Thanks.

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 10:05AM
gyozu(7 Winston-Salem, NC)

The handle blank that I used was longer than the original. Maybe 60"- 62". Goes above my shoulder and I am 5'10".
The hoe eye has a tapered hole with a flat side. To put it on, I slip it on over the grip end and bang it on the floor to seat it. I carved the handle real close to the eye and it fits tight. I have not needed to use the wedge so I am not sure how it gets placed on the handle. I think it gets driven into the large side of the eye between the handle and the metal, not into the wood like a hammer.There have been no problems with it loosening up and the design does not allow it to rotate.

One plus in making the handle is that I could size it for my height and grip.

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
Craftsman Snow Blower - Drive problem
During our big storm last week i noticed I started...
rspin
troy bilt horse question
Went to check the transmission fluid today and noticed...
snuffyinatl
Toro 826 Drive Belt Jumps Off Crankshaft Pulley
Hello, I have a nine year old Toro Powermax 826. Late...
ronpr2112
2-cycle engine troubleshooting
My 2-cycle blower cannot be started. There is a hot...
slim50
Troy Bilt Horse Drive Shaft Bearings
I took my horse apart because the front transmission...
gildomilo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™