hand-held, spring-loaded post driver

tamu77February 7, 2011

One post on the Farm Life forum says a spring-loaded post driver makes driving a post much easier, but a review of the model on the Tractor Supply site said the post gets stuck in the driver if the post is not hit in the center of the driver. Any comments on how well they work? I need to drive several dozen posts into clay soil, and anything that makes the job easier on a previously-fractured wrist that tends to ache after such work would be a blessing.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
exmar

All we've ever used here on the farm is the spring loaded kind. It really saves your back when the spring helps the driver start back up. Don't know what kind it is, it's been around here forever. I did once help a guy do some fence mending, all he had for a driver was a piece of iron pipe with a cap on it, don't know how that compares to non spring loaded but that was work!!!

One thing about TSC, take it home and try it, if it's not what you want they're good about refunding your money.

Good Luck,

Ev

Bookmark   February 7, 2011 at 2:44PM
tamu77

Thanks for your reply, Ev. I bought the spring-loaded one at TSC and found it really hard to drive posts. The spring was creating resistance and thus requiring more effort than one without a spring. It was also making my previously-fractured wrist hurt on about the 4th post and I had to quit right away.

You were right about TSC. The store readily let me exchange it for one without the spring.

Bookmark   February 14, 2011 at 9:48PM
exmar

Hmmm, guess I didn't notice the part about the fractured wrist. My experience is that it's easier to put a lot of force coming down with gravity with you, then the spring starts it back.

Glad it worked out for you.

Too bad it's not 20 or so years ago and you could hire a kid to do that who would be glad of the job and work hard.

Ev

Bookmark   February 18, 2011 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
Craftsman Snow Blower - Drive problem
During our big storm last week i noticed I started...
rspin
Testing the new format X allowing multiple attachments.
I am back to two Lexan chain guides due to a chain...
loger_gw
Toro 826 Drive Belt Jumps Off Crankshaft Pulley
Hello, I have a nine year old Toro Powermax 826. Late...
ronpr2112
troy bilt horse question
Went to check the transmission fluid today and noticed...
snuffyinatl
Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere...
bfguilford
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™