Snowblower auger not turning
I see I'm not the first to post these sorts of things ...
My snowblower (Craftsman) has worked fine this season, like a champ after the first blizzard of 2/5 - 2/6, although it needed a carburetor cleanout. But when I went to use it this morning, the auger wouldn't turn.
* The engine starts without trouble.
* The first time I engaged the auger, it wouldn't turn and the engine immediately stopped.
* I cleaned out snow just in case. There was a small amount of ice on the inner mechanism that pushes snow up and out the chute, but clearing that didn't fix the problem.
* The second (and subsequent times), the auger wouldn't turn and smoke came out of the belt housing.
* Off came the belt housing, and I examined the belt while the engine was running. The auger engager roller correctly pushes the belt taut when engaged, and then releases when not engaged. The belt looks ok to the eye.
* But when engaged, the auger pulley simply doesn't move.
* It's hard to see the bottom of the belt, but with a flashlight I think I could see that the belt was properly on the pulley.
Summary: The belt mechanism appears to be working; the auger seems to be clear of obstruction; but the blinkin' thing won't move.