Air Compressor recommendations

puzzlefan(5)February 7, 2011

We need to replace our old compressor and want to down size at the same time. Any recommendations for a compressor with good reliability in the 100-150 dollars would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rustyj14(W/PA)

There ain't any air compressors out there, in the $100 range that will be worth anything more than airing up yer tires! I don't know what you had before, nor what you want to do with a new one, but, you'd might as well go to HF and buy one of their little puffers, and use it to puff up yer tires.
If you are thinking of using it for paint spraying, or sand blasting--go buy a better, bigger compressor. Using a cheapo air compressor for that kind of work will only result in mucho frustration on your part, and be a waste of money. JMHO: Rusty J.

Bookmark   February 7, 2011 at 4:04PM
slowpoke_gardener

I have a 21 year old Daton and a 5 or 6 year old Buffalo, both cost around $150. The Daton still going strong, the Buffalo is not worth draging home.

Daton made in USA, Buffalo made in China. Larry

Bookmark   February 7, 2011 at 4:36PM
exmar

In somewhat the same position. Going to replace a little 120V unit that's about 15 years old, as I'd like something with a little more oomph. Problem is, it just keeps on running. I'd decided on one of the porter-cable pancake units which are around $150 at Amazon including S&H. Good reviews and they're also available at Sears so watch sales.

Northern tool had 4-5 pancakes in your price range, probably made in China as a lot of their stuff is.

Rusty is right if you want a little unit to do anything like running air tools, painting, etc. You gotta go bigger. The little ones theoretically will run a small nailer, dunno, my carpentering days were before air tools everything was done with a hammer...:-)

Good Luck,

Ev

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 8:24AM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

If you get oilless make sure brakein like manual states most time run 30 minutes without pressure on brakein.

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 8:39PM
puzzlefan(5)

We have only one small job left in our remodeling project, nailing wall border strips. Spending a lot would not make sense. We will look at the Porter Cable. We did find that the electric nailers aren't up to the job as we now have one to return. They just can't get the 1 1/4 nails buried.

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 9:36AM
More Discussions
Troy Bilt Pony Tiller
I have a Troy Bilt Pony Tiller with a 5 HP Briggs and...
beeer_2008
Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere...
bfguilford
Toro 826 Drive Belt Jumps Off Crankshaft Pulley
Hello, I have a nine year old Toro Powermax 826. Late...
ronpr2112
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
Dewalt 3800 pressure washer, open hole between pump and engine.
Hi, I just bought a dewalt 3800 pressure washer gx...
ron111
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™