Winter Hardy Petunias (Wintunias)

echinaceamaniac(7)April 7, 2009

Have any of you grown these? They promise to be basically a perennial petunia. They don't look exactly like a petunia, but these would be awesome if they do return each year...

http://www.gardeningdirect.co.uk/Wintunia-NEW/XF192,default,pd.html

I want some but they are sold out and it looks like they are only available in Europe.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_4b(z4b WI)

They may be hardy in "European" winters, but I doubt they are hardy here in the states with our winters. I'd like to know more about them. The website doesn't say how hardy they are.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 2:27PM
remy_gw

All the web sites/photos seem to be from the same marketer. I found this interesting article about them by Graham Rice of the RHS.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintunia Article

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 7:45PM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

I'm entirely willing to wait until these plants have proven themselves through a few actual winters (and not just the ones in Great Britain or coastal U.S.) and hot summers and then think about how badly I want/need a perennial petunia when there are hordes of cheap annual ones in every color and style imaginable (and which I hardly ever grow anyway).

After the Coreopsis 'Limerock Ruby' debacle (in which a variety supposedly hardy to zone 4 proved unreliable anywhere above zone 7) I think a lot of gardeners will be wary about forking over significant amounts of money for dubiously hardy perennials.

Bookmark   April 10, 2009 at 11:15PM
More Discussions
Tall Verbena
Having finally put a name to the lanky 3' tall plant...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
Agapanthus - where to buy?
I want to grow Agapanthus - the white one. Anyone know...
bluehaven_gweb
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Growing Yucca in container?
I seem to remember a member mentioning they were experimenting...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™