Low Growing Boxwoods for Fondation

whaas_5a(5A SE WI)November 24, 2009

Looking for 3'x 3' boxwoods...more specifically ones that hold their color well in winter(don't darken). I've noticed some in the neighborhood that are dark green and others are almost an emerald green yet in winter.

Will be in a protected location, east to south sun only.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

Sun = bad

Wind = bad

What you want is a location that is protected from both sun and wind. Deciduous tree shade does work, so long as the boxwood does get the shade with the low sun angles.

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 12:19PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

I understand their requirments.

I'm looking for one that meets my specs....3'x3', holds color well (doesn't get very dark in winter).

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 12:51PM
tom_mn(z4b_MN)

Try Chicagoland Green, AKA Glencoe. It grows to about 3.5' high x 5 wide and has very green color and is quite hardy.

Here is a link that might be useful: nice picture but dimensions wrong, 5' width

Bookmark   December 1, 2009 at 9:25AM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Thas the one I was looking at.

If I don't end up with a Rhodie, I'll go with the boxwoods.

Bookmark   December 1, 2009 at 10:29PM
kimcoco

Green Gem would also fit that requirement, with a roundc compact shape, ideal for trimming to a hedge form. We planted a row on our retaining wall. My initial impression vs. my own experience is they aren't as slow growing as you might think.

The only problem I've experienced is the proximity to the retaining wall, leaving the roots in the winter more susceptible to cold, and had some browning on these as a result. Could also be lack of water retention in the growing months as well. They will be moved back to a more appropriate distance.

I have Green Velvet in full shade, north wall (minimal late afternoon sun), it has grown considerably well, probably a wee bit larger than 3 x 3, a nice mound form. Due to shade, it's not as dense as others that receive more sunlight. Absolutely no browning on my green velvets.

I have a Green Gem next to my driveway, and the reflection in the summer caused some browning. It needs to be moved, not the best location.

And as much as I've read about the boxwood scent, I have yet to smell it. LOL.

I'm biased because I love boxwood, but if I had to choose between the rhody and boxwood, I'd go with the latter for the impact. They're also great to display lights over the holiday season, if you are into that.

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 2:30PM
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

As beautiful as boxwoods can be, I would suggest the Hetzi holly. Mine have hardly grown and always look good. I do believe my daughter had a boxwood that smelled like rotten meat, when it bloomed. Perhaps I am wrong on that one, but we got rid of it.

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 1:32PM
deltaohio

Buxus sempervirens ÂTide HillÂ
1 to 2 feet tall by 3 to 4 feet wide, keeps its green color all winter.

Buxus microphylla var. japonica 'Green Prince'
2-3 foot high and wide. Green Prince is resistant to all of the usual boxwood pest problems.

Frank

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 3:47PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

'Green Prince' looks like a good choice...I'll have to check it out.

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
Recs For Underused Ornamental Shrubs
Can you share some that you'd think would be planted...
catkin
Jelena witch hazel
Spring 2012 few blooms Spring 2013 it bloomed great. Spring...
mainegard3
'Sugar Shack' Buttonbush
Anyone have experience with this cultivar? I've always...
northraleighguy
Need suggestions
Hi everyone, I need to plant something in the front...
wonka31
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™