Troy bilt tiller questions

mla2ofusFebruary 23, 2010

I have a PTO Horse. What is the allowable end play on the tiller drive shaft in the tiller transmission? Can I install the ring gear on the tine shaft so the thrust is on the opposite side of the teeth? They show some wear but nothing to be alarmed about. I just thought if this is possible, I'd get more miles(acres?) out of it.

Thanks,

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

Someone on the more specific Horse forums may be of more help. Myself I've seen them with a fair amount of play. If the wear seems even, I personally would keep it as is as the two gears are used to playing together for this long.

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 9:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mla2ofus

Thanks, Tomplum. I took your advice about the ring gear. I took a close look at the worm and it showed a little wear on it also. It would probably wear the ring gear teeth down to match it anyway. I did find some good seal drivers on the cheap. a piece of 1 1/2" PVC works good for the tine shaft seals and a piece of 1 1/4" PVC works good for the front tine drive seal.
Like I do a lot at my age, I forgot to order the gaskets so will have to wait for them 'til I can stir up some dirt.
Mike

Bookmark   February 24, 2010 at 6:45PM
More Discussions
Predator 212cc Engine, Harbor Freight FYI
Hi Folks, Been thinking of getting one of these for...
exmar
Snow Thrower impeller
I have a Craftsman 9 hp dual stage snow thrower, that...
fjs001
No more roll pins
Finally got the roll pins out of the wheels on my Horse...
snuffyinatl
Older Troy Built Tiller Model ID
Trying to indentify model number of my unit. It is...
gardenerfrank
Tecumseh snow king fuel starvation?
My Tecumseh powered Toro snowblower hunts/surges and...
akachrisinmass
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™