How can I cut Dura Flame fireplace logs in slices to start wood

loger_gwFebruary 24, 2014

How can I cut Dura Flame fireplace logs in slices to start wood fires? I'm Challenged cutting Dura Flame fireplace logs in slices as firewood starters.

1. Slow me c/n believe my bandsaw c/n handle this chore until gumming 2 blades and breaking a tire.
    2. I tried cutting with a precipicating saw with a course sawzall blade to get a gummy mess.
    3. I feel or know my electric chainsaw will do the job but question what the log will do to the chain and bar.

Please share your results of cutting a Dura Flame log to start firewood fires or opinions. Newspaper and mixed kindling has worked but I thought this would enhance starts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loger_gw

My 1st thought was the 12â Urethane Band Saw tireâÂÂs weld broke with the blade still on and running. The weld appeared good and I feel the blade cut the tire after it came off. Is this common or sounds rational? 3-4 Years of occasional use on the 1st set of urethane tires, trying to beat dry rot rubber tires.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 6:36PM
bill_kapaun

just throwing this out there-
What if you put the logs in the deep freeze first?

Probably not worth the effort.....

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 7:28PM
loger_gw

Thanks Bil! IâÂÂll put the remaining half outside since we have a mild freeze predicted and try a hand saw (if it appears to be brittle). Otherwise, IâÂÂll hope to break it into usable sections to get this experiment on the negative list this winter. Small starters are sold but not at the same value if cutting had worked. The small sections are working enhancing paper and kindling starting.

The real key is to keep some coals going when we have consistent days of freezing weather. BUT, This Is NORTH, TEXAS! Safe Experimenting/Exercising while we enjoy the heat is the real goal.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 8:30PM
loger_gw

Thanks Bil! IâÂÂll put the remaining half outside since we have a mild freeze predicted and try a hand saw (if it appears to be brittle). Otherwise, IâÂÂll hope to break it into usable sections to get this experiment on the negative list this winter. Small starters are sold but not at the same value if cutting had worked. The small sections are working enhancing paper and kindling starting.

The real key is to keep some coals going when we have consistent days of freezing weather. BUT, This Is NORTH, TEXAS! Safe Experimenting/Exercising while we enjoy the heat is the real goal.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 8:31PM
mla2ofus

So what's wrong w/ some newsprint and ol' fashioned kindling w/ maybe a little used motor oil on it?
Mike

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 11:16PM
txtom50(8a texas)

I've been using Diamond Brand Strike-A-Fire fire starters for years and they work well for me. They come 48 to a box and I break them in half so I get 96 starts per box. Available at Walmart for about 9.00 a box. Just need to use good dry kindling.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diamond Strike-A-Fire Firestarter, 48ct

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 5:49AM
loger_gw

Thanks For The Ideas!

1. Diamond Brand Strike-A-Fire sounds good @ 96 starts.
2. I have pallet planks, cut 8-10â long, split to approx 1â sticks per pan full holding all ver.
3. IâÂÂll feel WordâÂÂs Auto Text, Etc changed my spelling âÂÂreciprocating to precipitating sawâ that I missed.
4. Are you using rubber or urethane tires on your band saws? Customer Care wants me to use US Mail to send the cut tire. Sounds as if they might re-weld or replace.
5. If you have put a urethane tire on (using hot water), you know I need to take the day off.

Stay Safe With The Endless Repairs And Experimenting!

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 12:01PM
rgress

What about using a hammer and chisel?

I haven't tried it with the Dura Flame logs so might be a problem. But I do it this way for the Dura Flame Fire Starting bricks. Those are about 1" x 3" x 6". I normally cut them into 1/4 pieces that way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dura Flame Fire Starter

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 4:11PM
loger_gw

The hammer and chisel is exactly what I have in mind. I feel IâÂÂll get some useable chunks. If needed, IâÂÂll drill some üâ holes 1â apart (as an influencing grid) in the brick size section left. Then IâÂÂll contain the chunks in a sealed plastic coffee can to see if the chemical last vs drying up.

My task today was to find backup Urethane Bandsaw Tires, âÂÂlocally and reasonablyâÂÂ. I thought I would get lucky at Granger, Northern Tools or an industrial Supply. No luck Yet! The manufacture has not ruled out replacing the tire free if I mail them the cut tire. I will if needed. Presently, I am asking if I can send pics of the shipping container, weld that d/n break and cut that occurred when the tire came off w/o the blade coming off (to save the postage).

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 6:33PM
More Discussions
Electrolytic Rust Removal
Has anyone tried this, using a battery charger, "washing...
exmar
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
Poulan Pro rear tine tiller, burnt valve??
I have a 6.5 Intec Briggs on my tiller, which is 10...
slowpoke_gardener
Electric shredder motor will switch on but won't spin the blades
Hello, I have an electric garden shredder that will...
Lindsay Durdle
Troy Bilt Pony Tiller
I have a Troy Bilt Pony Tiller with a 5 HP Briggs and...
beeer_2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™