Troy Bilt Horse tine shaft

redtrollFebruary 21, 2010

I have recently aquired an older, sn 407218, Troy Bilt Horse tiller and am in the process of replacing the wheel and tine shaft seals. At least that was where I started.

As is almost always the case more things wanting attention turn up once you start taking things apart. Once I got the tine shaft out it looked like someone had tried to dig the seals out and really chewed the shaft up. It is gouged so badly that there was no way for oil seals to hold up.

I am in the process of putting in the replacement tine shaft and have about .126" of end-to-end clearence with a .010" thick cover gasket in place. And since the bearings are loose in the cups there is lateral slop as well.

The parts house lists "tine shaft shims", and they are included in the tine shaft gear & bearing kit. However I haven't been able to find shims mentioned in the manual for this tiller.

It would be a great help if someone could educate me about the proper clearences for the tine shaft.

Many thanks,

RT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

I can't answer your question, but I would guess that the wear on the shaft seal surface is from dirt and vegetation that gets stuck in that area and the owner didn't clean it often.

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 8:54PM
redtroll

The shaft seal surface was chewed on by assorted chisels and screw drivers from the looks of it. There are also some ball peen hammer divots scattered about.

I have a new shaft and in the process of putting things back together. Want to do this right.

RT

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 9:11PM
redtroll

Just in case anyone else has a similar question I'll update what I learned today from Tim at "Custompartsinc.com".

The original bronze gear was thicker then the current replacement gear. The replacement gear uses two .055" thick spacers to make up for the difference.

Can't say enough good things about Custom parts as a Troy Bilt part supplier.

RT

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 5:39PM
mla2ofus

I just posted in my thread about my horse. I just replaced all the seals in the tine box. I found a 1 1/2" PVC works to drive the tine shaft seals and 1 1/4" PVC works for the front seal.
Mike

Bookmark   February 24, 2010 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
2-cycle engine troubleshooting
My 2-cycle blower cannot be started. There is a hot...
slim50
Electric shredder motor will switch on but won't spin the blades
Hello, I have an electric garden shredder that will...
Lindsay Durdle
Best gas leaf blower?
Can anyone recommend a good gas powered leaf blower?...
robar
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
Chainsaw:Poulan 295 Pro
I just purchased a used Poulan 295 Pro...$50..not bad!...
JDH2015
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™