Stihl 009 carburetor

mike8149February 25, 2007

I have a 20 yr old Stihl 009 that's been sitting for 5 years and I'm now trying to do a tune up. I've installed a carb kit and it runs strong but when I shut the saw down gas puddles above the throttle plate. I didn't pay attention when I dissasemled the needle valve and am not sure I have the mounting bracket installed properly. Does the dimple, on the bracket, go up or down? It seems to run either way and puddles the same regardless of which way I have it installed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
masiman(z7 VA)

Try posting at the arborist site if you don't get a good answer here.

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 6:35AM
nevada_walrus(Boulder City)

If by bracket you mean the teeter totter lever, the dimple goes down. It holds the spring in place so it won't slide off.

Make sure the main diaphragm is furthest from carb body, gasket is first.

The hole the inlet needle goes in may be dirty. A trimmed cotton swab stick with cleaner can be used to to clean out the seat.

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 9:01AM
mike8149

Ok, thanks. I got it back together but now it won't start unless I prime it with carb cleaner and then it starts and immediately dies. When it was flooding it did run ok once I got it going.

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 8:34PM
mike8149

I finally got the carb adjusted correctly. The oil pump wasn't workig so I replaced the diaphram. It's pumping oil fine but when I shut the saw off oil continues to seep out of the port and puddles under the chassis. The oil pump has about 20 inches of vacuum in one direction and none in the other. Any suggestions?

Bookmark   February 27, 2007 at 8:19PM
More Discussions
Are you finding Insert Pic Attachments to work as printed on this Site
Are you finding Insert Pic Attachments to work as printed...
loger_gw
What locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs Quantum Edge Engine?
I wanted to see what locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs...
loger_gw
1983 troy-bilt cultivator plus wheels
Read with great interest all the posts so far for the...
rayleman
Harbor Freight small utility tralier question
I just purchased this harbor freight trailer. http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-capacity-40-1-2-half-inch-x-48-inch-mini-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-four-lug-wheels-and-tires-90153.html I...
rlmunsey
Stihl Chainsaw - starts but won't run
My trusty (10 yr) old Stihl 16" chainsaw is starting...
uberfusion
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™