Using Newspaper of Unknown Ink Origin as Compost in Beds

OmulnouMarch 17, 2011

I'm trying to think of ways to build up some of my vegetable beds and have several dozen newspapers on hand (don't ask). I have no idea if the ink is soy based or otherwise non-toxic/biodegradable. If this was for my flowers it would not be so much of an issue, but I plan on eating what grows in these beds, so I'm naturally quite concerned about potentially poisoning myself. How big of problem would it be if the inks are not natural?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Because soya based inks are less expensive to use very few newspapers will spoend the money to purchase the old metallic, petroleum based inks today, if they can find them, because of the affect on the bottom line, the profit that newspaper needs to make to justify its existance. If a business manager of a newspaper, in todays cost cutting arena, atill insisted on purchasing the old type of ink he/she probably would not be employed very long. While it is good to be concerned know that it is not very likely for a newspaper to use inks that might be toxic to your garden.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 7:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thecompostnerd

the days of using metallic inks on newspapers are long gone...I wouldn't worry about it. For fun, call the newspaper and ask them what kind of ink is used for printing.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
Seeking help/tips for a raised bed that's out of control with weeds...
Hi there, I have a raised bed garden. 3 years ago,...
toomanyaccounts
Clay
Moving to a new home with a blank canvas and landscape...
dnamama
Earth, The Operators Manual
This 3 part series may be of interest to some here. http://www.pbs.org/program/earth-the-operators-manual/ kimmq...
kimmq
Brick borders
Two months ago I buried a much- loved companion animal...
katzenjaammer
Patio Composting
Would like to start composting in a small patio area...
ecodonnell
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™