TX heat and rain exposure deteriorates quality hardwood faster

loger_gwFebruary 18, 2012

North TX heat and rain exposure deteriorates quality hardwood faster IMO. I have 2 yr old large sticks of Live Oak (6-8"dia that burns almost like paper. I thought I had some time left toward it being quality burning but this last cool front might clean it out. By quality, I feel a good 8" + logs should last over-night (6-8 hrs) vs no coals. Now I feel I know why people with plentiful standing wood, cut it joust in time (six months to one season at the most vs shoveling wood. A good stove I'm sure is more efficient than my open Fireplace that I keep the damper 3/4 + closed on and the front glass doors closed to slow the burning. I get my heat from 7 overhead 1.5" stainless tubes, a steel back and 3 larger tubes on the floor open to the opposite side mainly.

How long do you expect a quality log of what size to burn? I have basically considered two cords of quality wood to provide moderate heat late evening to mid mornings during the mild winter weather (about 8 hrs of low coals vs a fire per day). Mild means you might go a week w/o a fire but when you are shoveling, it's like the wood has lost its value due to age. There is no end to learning and I "need" the exercise,BUT! Loger

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andyma_gw

tighten up your un-metered air. Think of your stove as a big vacuum leak. :D

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 12:26AM
txtom50(8a texas)

I'm sure you're probably aware that an insert would improve the efficiency of your open fireplace quite a bit. The expense of a new insert makes them a big ticket item anymore, but you might check around with the local stove/fireplace stores and see if anybody sells used trade-ins.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 5:09AM
ewalk

I agree with Andy and Txt , you are really losing mega heating ability without closing off your fireplace . There are numerous inserts complete with glass that can be ordered to fit your enclosure for under $500.00 that less than 8=10 cord of Maple or Birch around here. Probably even more expensive in Texas for your heating woods Loger.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 11:50AM
More Discussions
Old Troybilt Tiller Engine Replacement
I need to replace the eninge on my Troybilt tiller...
themaniam1
Waterproofing a basement
I get water in my basement just about every spring...
huskymaniacny
1983 troy-bilt cultivator plus wheels
Read with great interest all the posts so far for the...
rayleman
Older Troy Built Tiller Model ID
Trying to indentify model number of my unit. It is...
gardenerfrank
Any owners of the Troy-bilt Cultivator Plus?
I bought this around 1984 and have never seen another...
baymee
Sponsored Products
Stainless Steel 15-Blade Meat Tenderizer
$9.99 | zulily
SLICE Umbrella Stand by Blomus
$104.39 | Lumens
Applica PowerPro Wide-Mouth Food Processor
Overstock.com
54 x 34 Stone Shower Base Gray Genuine Granite - SPACIUM
Living'ROC
Cosco Resin Folding Chair with Molded Seat and Back - Four Pack - White Speckle
$69.32 | Hayneedle