Morning shade, strong afternoon sun, in CA

Bee_beeApril 15, 2014

Hi,

I'm very new to gardening, live in the CA, bay area. Trying to spruce an empty backyard. Would like to get your suggestions/opinions, what are your top two or top three preferred plants for backyard garden edges (near fence) that fit the following criteria:1) area has morning shade and strong afternoon sun (1-5 or 6pm). 2) plants that are not invasive (grow too fast that it overtakes garden). 3) low maintenance & hardy 4) drought tolerant

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenweed_z6a

That's a tall order. I'm sure you'll get suggestions here but something else you might consider is a visit to a local garden nursery where you can ask questions and see what plants are being sold in your locale.

Another suggestion is to visit a nursery website or two. Santa Rosa Gardens (in FL) and White Flower Farm (in CT) come to mind. Both provide plenty of online garden information, ideas & suggestions.

Invasive plants are listed on the Internet by state so that's also information at your fingertips. I've posted a link to one website below.

Good luck & happy gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive species by state - map

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 5:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)

The bay area has different growing conditions than the areas where we generally design. But what you want to look for is a full sun plant that can grow in part shade; you do not want to try to convince a shade grower to be happy in 4-5 hours of strong sun. A number of plants would be happy with that amount of sun, so you should still have a variety to choose from.

You listed some other traits you wanted, but did not explain what you wanted the plants to accomplish landscape wise (backdrop, showy, privacy, for example). Is there an overall design plan, even though you may not be installing everything at this time? What height(s) do you need, how wide is the planting area and how large is the overall yard size? Trees or shrubs, or a mix? What is the planned irrigation method? What backyard activities need to be taken into account?

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
Big Mistake ! Chinese lantern
I just wanted to warn those who are thinking about...
rodco
spring things
replanted this as part of last years back garden renovation...
daves10z7annv
NEWBIES: stay out of your garden
ALL NEWBIES .... I KNOW YOU HAVE THE FEVER.... the...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Troubles with new Campanula Carpatica (Blue Clips)
I will start by saying that I am a pretty new gardener....
lovelyother1
Sponsored Products
Green & Coral 8' 2" x 9' 4" Super Fine Gabbeh Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H7118
BH Sun Inc
Handcrafted Driftwood Shade Designer Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Designers Fountain 975815 Amherst 15 Light Chandelier in Burnt Umber Finish Mult
Hayneedle
Luxe Tile Giclee Lamp Shade 13.5x13.5x10 (Spider)
$69.99 | Lamps Plus
Patio Living Concepts Lamps Bahama Weave 34 in. Mocha Cream Outdoor Table Lamp
Home Depot
Bover | Siam 150 Ceiling Light
YLighting
Progress Lighting Spotlights Low Voltage LED 20-watt Equivalent Black Landscape
Home Depot
Citrus Circle Rings Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™