Hydrangea 'Lemon Daddy' - rants/raves?

mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)April 17, 2012

I *know* the flower buds are not hardy in my zone, but I don't really care about that, I want the bush for the lush yellow/chartreuse foliage to brighten up a particular spot. Will be in part-shade.

Any rants/raves you want to share regarding the Lemon Daddy (besides lack of flowering rant...). What I'm looking for is overall, how does it perform foliage-wise, and is winter die-back in terms of foliage going to be a big problem or any other input you feel is relevant.

Note: Also posted in Hydrangeas forum

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Rather than 'Lemon Daddy', I would look for Hydrangea quercifolia 'Little Honey', a golden leaved oakleaf hydrangea. I think the foliage effect is far nicer than that of a bigleaf hydrangea, it is a hardier plant and much more likely to bloom for you without winter protection, it is far more sun tolerant (Big Daddy scorches like mad in any sun), the foliage gets gorgeous fall color AND....the plant retains some foliage during winter, only shedding it as new growth emerges in spring. So it therefore looks more like a real plant in December than a collection of dead sticks. Such a deal!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Honey hydrangea (no source endorsement!)

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 5:17PM
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

Good rec - but I already have a pretty large swath of oakleafs in that bed ("Alice" or "Snow Queen", don't remember which), so that would be just too much oakleaf.

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 6:19PM
miclino(5)

Highly recommend Hydrangea little honey!

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 11:12PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Look at Leucosceptrum japonicum 'Gold Angel' as another alternative if you decide not to go with Lemon Daddy.

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 12:13AM
More Discussions
Echinaceas in my Rain Garden
In a rare stroke of luck I just finished my rain garden...
northraleighguy
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
Off to Paris!
Hello Fellow Perennial Fanatics, :) I'm off to Paris...
steve1young
hhibiscus propagation
how much time it takes for rooting airlayering of Hibiscus...
prasadmbd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™