Chipper/Shredder to make sprigs from sod

ncredclaygardenerMarch 9, 2013

I need to shred a pallet of Zoysia sod into sprigs in a couple months. I have found many examples where people use chippers, but I don't own one. I've been told it will take less than an hour to do a full pallet.

I looked into renting, but have called all the local rental companies and they only carry the large tow-behind units, which would be overkill (I think?).

Another thought is to buy a used unit from Craigslist, but I'd want to make sure it would work for my project before buying.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to most cost-effectively (and efficiently) complete this project.

Below is a link to a video of what I need to do - although the sod will already be harvested, and sitting on a pallet.

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sod to Sprigs

This post was edited by ncredclaygardener on Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 10:15

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom_nwnj(z6 NJ)

That must be a special machine (in the youtube) for that specific use. Probably tears stuff apart rather than cuts into pieces. And doesn't seem to be throwing any dirt out..

If you put that much dirt into a wood chipper (or a wood shredder), the blades will be pretty dull by the time you get through one stack.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere...
bfguilford
Troy Bilt Pony Tiller
I have a Troy Bilt Pony Tiller with a 5 HP Briggs and...
beeer_2008
2 stroke Mantis tiller vs. 4 stroke Mantis
I'm looking at buying a small Mantis cultivator but...
lil_rhody
IS it ME ? OR is this site/Forum Gone in hibernation?
This used to be such an informative and active site!!...
bertman_gw
Electrolytic Rust Removal
Has anyone tried this, using a battery charger, "washing...
exmar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™