Rose Slugs

dizzylizzy415April 27, 2014

The rose slugs have heavily infested my Knockouts this year! I have never had such a problem. Anyone else have this same problem this year? Too many to just squish. Should I use Neem oil?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Try a horticultural oil spray first, as the neem will also wipe out predators. If the oil spray doesn't work, then go for a heavier weapon.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 8:58PM
dizzylizzy415

Will try it. Thanks, Hoovb. Meanwhile I spent an hour squishing yesterday. Hope it helps!

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 10:26AM
henryinct

I had a lot of rose slugs earlier this year and picked them off. Anything you spray to kill them will wipe out everything else as well so don't do it. I would spray with water as you would for aphids but not too hard and hopefully it will knock them off.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 4:05PM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

Spinosad works on the kind I have (the kind that curl up like a snake) and leaves the beneficials that don't eat the leaves, unless you kill them on contact with it perhaps. Just make sure not to spray when bees are out, and you might cut off any open blooms to be sure. It's toxic to bees until it's dried completely. If the leaf-cutter bees are active, I'd not spray it because I'm afraid it would hurt them even when dry (?).

Squishing is best, but I had so many last year that they ate ALL of the foliage eventually on certain roses, even with my daily squishing. That's just too many!

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 5:02PM
ehlerslw

I am also having trouble with bugs on my two knockout roses. I will try to find some neem oil at walmart to see if I can control them. how often do you need to spray neem oil on roses to kill the slugs.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 7:25PM
More Discussions
To Pascali or not?
I'm contemplating planting a hedge of roses and my...
kublakan
Does Anyone Grow Rina Hugo?
This is a new rose in my garden, and one I'd never...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Francis Meilland, suggestions on pruning and care?
I currently have him in a 15 gallon, he's at least...
msdorkgirl
Blue Girl - bush
I'm starting to think about culling out the noncontenders...
canadian_rose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™