Using frost to till your garden?

steve22802(7a VA)March 2, 2011

I've sometimes noticed in the early spring that some of my soil will be loose and friable even without tilling and it appears to be related to the winter freeze and thaw cycle. I'm just wondering if anyone has given any thought as to whether this annual cycle could be used to loosen the soil for planting? There seem to be various factors that influence how much the frost cycle heaves the soil. Moisture content, frost depth and organic content all seem to play a roll. It also seems to be important that it is an area that is never walked (or driven) over all winter otherwise it gets compacted despite the frost cycles. Any thoughts on this idea?

There is a somewhat related thread here:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/soil/msg12134844391.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Over here using frost to break up the soil is standard practice, even though we get fewer freezes than many places in the US. The traditional method is to dig the ground roughly in the autumn/winter during dry spells and leave it in large clods. You then hope that there will be a few frosts. The idea is that come spring it then just needs raking down to a tilth for sowing and planting. It might prove a more problematical method in places where the ground really freezes and the garden is pretty much out of bounds through the winter.

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 11:59AM
jolj(7b/8a)

Sounds like a plan for anyone in zone 2-7.
flora uk, have every been on KGI.

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 8:19PM
steve22802(7a VA)

Thanks for the comment Flora. Seems like the ground needs to be water saturated before the hard frost occurs so that the frost can expand the moisture in the soil and burst the clods.

Bookmark   March 3, 2011 at 7:45PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

"Seems like the ground needs to be water saturated before the hard frost occurs..." ha, ha - that's no problem here!

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 11:41AM
Lloyd

Frost does wonders for compaction issues up here. And by golly we get some impressive frost!! It's a balmy -25C this morning, in March for crying out loud!

Lloyd

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 10:37AM
gemini_jim(7 MD)

I did some of this without really planning on it. In November I dug up a big circular bed for a 3 sisters (corn, beans, & squash) garden to be planted this spring. I haven't gotten a chance to go over it again, but a lot of the big clods have broken up. Don't know how much is from the frost and how much from the rain!

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 11:21AM
More Discussions
How quickly can I lower pH of soil in order to plant acidic plants?
I'm hoping someone can help me with my dilemma! I...
stillasprout
How can I get my soil to hold water longer?
I live in Augusta and I just bought a bunch of Bricko's...
ryank817
Raised Bed: What to put at the bottom?
Hi everyone, I'm a novice gardener and am working on...
sooby77
Questions re: raised bed soil + composting/fertilizing
Hi, everyone! Longtime lurker, first time poster here...
Angelina Zarre
Fungus in compost
This pile was started about 3 weeks ago. It is overun...
jon2412
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™