Anaerobic 'digesters'

josko021March 12, 2014

Just listened to an NPR segment on how towns are starting to use anaerobic 'digesters' to reduce food waste going to dumps. There was some mention about how anaerobic digesters are more efficient than aerobiic composting. What are these advantages, and does this process carry over to the homeowner scale? Is there such a thing as a backyard 'digester' and is there any reason to consider this method as a replacement for the compost pile?

Here is a link that might be useful: NPR segment

This post was edited by josko on Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 11:25

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
klem1

"is there any reason to consider this method as a replacement for the compost pile?"

Non that are practical.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 10:07PM
emgardener

I use this to get rid of kitchen scraps. Just cut off the bottom of a 5 gallon plastic bucket and buried in the ground next to an orange tree. Dump vegetable, meat, ... any kitchen scraps into it. The lid (at the soil line) screws on and keeps out racoons. In hot weather it "digests/dissolves" quite fast. In cold weather I use a 20 gallon trash can the same way.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 2:01AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Anaerobic digesters are mostly used to capture the methane gas that can be produced during the digestion process. That gas can then be used for cooking, heating, or sometimes to dry animal manure for sale. In addition to the digester you would need a method of compressing the gas produced and storage tanks, and enough material available on a steady basis to generate enough gas to either replace what you use or maybe even to sell. Few home compost piles will do that.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 6:33AM
david52_gw

Thats pretty much what a septic tank does - anaerobic digestion.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 11:07AM
gonebananas_gw

Bokashi composting appears to be anaerobic.

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 5:35PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

There are small(ish) dairy and poultry farms doing a version of this, the methane produced can heat the barns in winter and provides electricity for the farm's operations. I do not think a typical home produces enough waste to keep a system of that kind running.

Here is a link that might be useful: dairy farm digesters

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 5:51PM
josko021

Thanks folks - never thought of my septic tank as an 'anaerobic digester', but it sure seems that's what it is. Does my septic tank generate methane?
Also, why is this proicess deemed 'more efficient' than aerobic composting, at least on a large scale?

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 10:28AM
vedabeeps

As gonebananas mentioned, Bokashi is anaerobic. Its working extremely well for me (in the middle of a large city without a place for a large compost pile away from the house.) Its also very fast. 3-4 weeks from collection to gorgeous compost and *everything* goes in it- cooked food, bones, meat, dairy, fatty things, etc.

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
Earth, The Operators Manual
This 3 part series may be of interest to some here. http://www.pbs.org/program/earth-the-operators-manual/ kimmq...
kimmq
Frozen compost
Ok so the deep freeze here in nj is not letting up...
jrupjr
Gooey vegetable compost under kitchen sink
Fellow gardeners who COMPOST, I need some advice. I...
valrie87
how would one add / help mycorrhizae
On another thread (very long and informative - why...
louisianagal
Berm and Top Soil/Tilling?
I plan on creating a low berm - about 6 inches tall...
Bob Sislow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™