Does anyone know what type of hatchet this is?

svanoyMarch 21, 2010

This is a hatchet head that my dogs dug out of the back yard. It is cast iron. I haven't been able to find anything about it.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/251/032110125500.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
always_beezee

Here is your picture

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 2:27PM
canguy(British Columbia)

Looks like something used to chop roots.

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 4:08PM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

Not likely cast iron, but forged steel or iron, made by a blacksmith.

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 7:44PM
polkapete(z4NY)

Hey there, Svanoy!
It looks like "trade goods," inexpensive tools/trinkets traded to the Noble Salvages (Native Americans, First Peoples) probably in the 18th or 19th centuries. I worked for the Anthropolical Collections of the University Of Connecticut (USA) where we had a number of these, or similar. They were associated with the Norris Bull Collection of Indian antiquities assembled from the wilds of Connecticut. HOWEVER, I personally own one which was in a building purchased from a blacksmith, very similar. It looks to be commercially manufactured, has a curved handle, and is useful for hacking at things like roots.
Personally, I believe what your doggies have excavated is an archaeological artifact from Native American/First Peoples days. No, it probably is not worth much commercially. Don't you wonder what it was traded for?
Do not share your conjecture with your wife/signifcant other.

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 10:55PM
svanoy

Great to know Polkapete, thanks for the response. I live in central Kentucky. A little bit of a trip from Connecticut.

Yes my dogs seem to have a nose for old artifacts. They will dig at the same spot in the yard for days, eventually something like this will pop up and they will move on to dig somewhere else.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 6:09PM
farmerdilla

I agree with polkapete, looks like a trade "tomahawk" from the 18th century. Primarily a weapon with other uses. Both the Cherokee and Shawnee had them as well as multiple other tribes, but those were the tribes that tangled most often with Kentucky settlers.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 6:17PM
tom_nwnj(z6 NJ)

I think that's a maddox (spelling?)

Used for planting seedlings. Swing it like a pick ax, pull the soil/gravel back. Put the seedling in the hole. Continue down the row.

I have one that much larger, maybe two feet end to end. Definitely for tree seedlings.

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 4:56PM
farmerdilla

Not a mattock (grubbing hoe for old timers) Those have a hoe on one side and a narrow axe blade on the other, Whereas the tomahawk has as an axe blade on one side and and a spike on the other side.

Bookmark   March 27, 2010 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
Toro 826 Drive Belt Jumps Off Crankshaft Pulley
Hello, I have a nine year old Toro Powermax 826. Late...
ronpr2112
Troy Bilt Horse Drive Shaft Bearings
I took my horse apart because the front transmission...
gildomilo
troy bilt horse question
Went to check the transmission fluid today and noticed...
snuffyinatl
Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere...
bfguilford
Predator 212cc Engine, Harbor Freight FYI
Hi Folks, Been thinking of getting one of these for...
exmar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™