Advice for perennials in small gap or hard soil

jmcnyc(6)April 1, 2012

I have about a 3" gap running between a concrete pool deck and a wooden wall. The soil is hard and of unknown quality. I would like to plant a low maintenance perennial along this gap. Something that flowers through summer would be great and does not grow higher that 6 or 9 inches. Or something that would climb the wall although not aggressively. The area gets plenty of sun. Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

why dont you start by loosening the soil .... and finding out what kind it is ...

and then we go from there ...

and how much sun actually hits the area between a wall and a 3 foot deck???

ken

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 6:51PM
maozamom NE Ohio

Hens and chicks, and stonecrop grow anywhere but a bog. Stepables are tough too.

mao

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 7:03PM
mistascott(7A VA)

Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia) is a nice groundcover for sun but its flowers aren't really notable (foliage is). Also, Lithodora might work though it flowers in spring not summer.

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 11:59PM
covella

I would plant something you don't dare plant elsewhere - like bishops weed - a green and white variegated ground cover that is an aggressive spreader. Maybe Sedum Autumn Joy would work but you might have to work at the maintenance. You need something that will hold up under the baking reflected heat of the cement and splashing chlorine pool water. Maybe an idea is a decorative border of some cool tiles or mosaics and be done with it.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 9:28AM
victorine72(7a)

Marguerite daisies (Anthemis punctata) have done well for me in my "hell strip" areas. They love crappy soil, lots of sun and don't need a lot of water. My clumps are usually around 6-8" tall when not in bloom. The leaves are a good contrast to most other garden plants-- very delicate, finely cut and greyish-green. The blooms are 2" pale yellow, and make good cut flowers. It normally flowers here (Richmond VA) in early summer, but mine looks like it'll bloom within the next month thanks to our crazy winter weather. My gardening encyclopedia says it will rebloom if given enough sun and cut back hard after the initial flowering. I may have to try that this year.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
species tulips
the red is a new seedling less than an in. across.
daves10z7annv
pulsatillas
anemones was a better name
daves10z7annv
Your experience with Heliopsis Loraine Sunshine
I'd like to try Heliopsis Loraine Sunshine and pair...
summerstar
2015 Garden Resolutions
Each year for the past few I say that I am going to...
rouge21_gw
Please help me figure out what this perennial is called:)
I got this on clearance from lowes a couple years ago...
mrsmodernhousewife
Sponsored Products
K & B Furniture Childrens Writing Desk - B400-85
$558.33 | Hayneedle
Couristan Recife Veranda Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug - Natural/Terra Cotta Multicolo
$69.00 | Hayneedle
Grid Wall-Mount Mailbox - Polished Stainless Steel
Signature Hardware
Tobacco Finish Chest - B455-46
$460.00 | Hayneedle
3-Piece Breakfast Pub Set - White / Marble - D1022
$198.00 | Hayneedle
Black Metal Dresser - KBF228
$641.67 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™