Turning Hollow Tree Stumps into Planters

samnsarahApril 17, 2012

I have two hollow tree stumps in my back yard. They are both located in full sun. Is it alright to turn these into planters for annual or perennial flowers? A friend of mine thought they might just become a harbor for termites or carpenter ants. Both stumps are more than 20 feet from the house. I was considering planting a combination of Gold Nugget Coreopsis, Purity Coneflowers, and Red Sun Blanket Flowers in them. I know the stumps wouldn't be a permanent planter, since they would eventually decay. But is it even a good idea to even use them as planters or not?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

you are the lord of your domain.. who cares what the knaves think ...

added water.. will make the stumps rot faster...

you might want to drill some holes near the bottom for drainage .. if the stump still holds water..

otherwise .. ka-nock yourself out.. sounds like a good idea to me..

post pix when they are in their prime..

ken

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 5:05PM
terrene(5b MA)

Yes stumps are attractive to termites, but there's not much you can do about that. The way I figure, better the termites have something to eat out there than be attracted to my house.

Last year I watched a Pileated woodpecker chip away at one of my rotting stumps in the back garden and feast on the termites for a good 10 minutes.

As for planting into the stump, I have no idea if plants will grow well under such conditions. Gardening is sometimes an experiment and that sounds like a good one!

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 6:15PM
samnsarah

You're right, ken. Who cares what the knaves think? Both stumps drain very fast. I am going to try it. Like terrene said, it would be a good experiment. I may plant some annuals to see if they will grow before I invest in perennials. And, yes, I will post photos.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
Would you be willing to share your favorite plant markers?
I've been eyeing the copper and zinc ones but just...
oldbat2be
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Lilies are blooming in parks now!
Pictures taking in Southern China.
jujujojo_gw
Perennials visited by a variety of insects, or unusual insects
Do you have particular perennials that seem to attract...
WoodsTea 6a MO
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™