Carefree Sunshine

jacqueline9CAApril 3, 2012

Does anyone grow Carefree Sunshine in the SF Bay Area? I have a space in a bed that is about 4 ft by 5 ft, and I am looking for a rose that is full, and about 4-6 ft tall to put in it. Gets morning and mid day sun. Other suggestions? A lighter color is needed, and most important is disease resistance - I don't spray.

I am asking because HMF says the zone for this CS is 6b-8b, which seems an awfully narrow range to me (its an Austin, so perhaps that is correct - only will grow in England!), and I was hoping someone grows it around here, where we are zone 9 with wet winters and dry warm summers. Thanks so much for your help!

Jackie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Correction: Carefree Sunshine is NOT a David Austin rose. It is a Radler rose. Nevertheless, it is a tough one. I wouldn't worry about the zone being marked 6-8. Don't think it would be any problem for you. Usually the zones are of more concern in terms of how much cold they can withstand.

If you want another lighter colored, very disease-resistant rose, try Easter Basket. I think it has much prettier blooms, and I love the blended colors and how they often change. It might only get 3-4 ft tall, however, so maybe that would not work for you.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Easter Basket at Helpmefind

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 2:39PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Not relevant to the original poster's situation, but CS has been reported cane-hardy in parts of zone 5, and heat-tolerant in Alabama.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 3:39PM
jacqueline9CA

Thanks so much, Kate - I do like the blooms on Easter Basket much more. I wonder how it does with rust - most of my modern roses get rust out here, but none of the old ones do. I don't think the rest of the country has this problem - no idea why.

Jackie

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 4:13PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Away from the immediate Pacific Coast, rose rust is limited by warm summer temperatures, which it does not tolerate.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 4:53PM
ptboise

Jackie,
I can't help you for your area - but can only add that CS is a great rose. Extremely floriferous, and with some insouciant deadheading (best done with a glass of wine in one hand) will bloom like few others. Cold hardy (to z5) and large. As always, YMMV.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 10:34PM
seil zone 6b MI

I've been looking at Easter Basket, Kate. Glad to hear it's got good resistance for you. I may give it a try myself.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 11:50PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Carefree Sunshine was the first rose to open for me this spring (yesterday, that is), and it may be the first to repeat as well.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 10:20AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

There was a magnificent specimen at Descanso, last I was there. Huge and beautiful and covered with flowers.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 11:39AM
More Discussions
Rainbow Happy Trails
My local nursery has a rose named Rainbow Happy Trails....
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
When to remove winter protection so it doesn't rot, basically?
After last year's killing Polar Vortex, this winter...
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
Please Get To The Huntington Quickly!!
Please try to get to the Huntington in the next few...
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
Earth kind roses trials in northern gardens.
This should help us northern rose gardeners. Iowa State...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™